lawn unwanted rampant plant

I've tried slashing it with a knife, but it just grows in more vigorously.

prefer a simple non chemical solution, but if its not likely what chemicals to use please? Thanks for advice.

Reply to
john hamilton

In article , john hamilton writes

Chemical:

Try Verdone spray for spot treatment:

you want to use the 'direct' link from tinypic for NGs:

fred

Looks like "Self Heal" Prunella vulgaris close mowing will discourage it but weedkiller is the only way to get rid of it, I rather like it so it gets to stay with all the other weeds which form my green patch

Reply to
Charlie Pridham

Right plant but wrong solution surely!

Self Heal, daisy and other typical lawn weeds are so because they *like* being mown. Just look at the wonderful display of daisies in our parks between mowings! Self Heal spreads by runners, and mowing encourages them. If you don't want to use a weedkiller, better to let them grow up (They form beautiful orchid-like heads up to knee high.) so you can see the individual plants and pull them up. After that, diligence with your weeding. However, I don't really understand the desire for grass-only or close-mown lawns: in times of drought, the weeds such as clover and self heal, keep the lawn looking green whilst the grass turns brown, and close mowing gives the broad-leaved weeds the chance to spread over what is to them effectively bare ground.

Let the weeds flower and the bees will come back, and your lawn will be a spectacular colour display instead of barren green:

Spamlet

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Spamlet" saying something like:

My type of gardening!

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon