Lawn Ants

Each year we seem to be getting an increasing problem with little brown lawn ants.

From a distance it looks like we've got mole hills but on closer inspection they're definitely ants.

It has all started to get quite ugly and a problem

Anyone got any tips?

Reply to
RedOnRed

When mowing the lawn a couple of weekends ago, I found I'd taken the top off a 2m² ant hill. Millions of the things were rushing around gathering up their eggs and taking them lower under ground. A couple of metres away, the same had happened to a smaller red ant hill. I looked out half an hour later, and the garden birds had found it. It was so funny -- they were trying to eat the ant eggs whilst being bitten on their feet by the ants. There were about 20 birds there all hopping up and down like the ground was too hot to stand on, but presumably the delicacy was worth the pain.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Boiling hot water from the kettle.

Reply to
Millan

Poured over a tea bag, add milk and declare the lawn a nature reserve and never cut it again?

Reply to
mogga

Reply to
Millan

Can't you just get a rake disturb the nest with it and then pour the ant powder stuff over them as they scurry around? Try that a couple of times and see if it reduces their population.

Reply to
Farouq

A SMALL amount of clove oil mixed in water will do the job. (Try 2 drops clove oil in a pint of water, well shaken) If you use too much clove oil, it acts as a very good very long lasting weed killer. BTDTGTTS. Rick... (The other Rick)

Reply to
Rick... (The other Rick)

A couple of years ago I killed the small lawn out the front. When I lifted the concrete paver that bridged the border I found an ants nest underneath. Being a nice sort I covered it over with more sand which linked to the first of the round pavers I was laying as a stepping stone path out across the new garden. Landscape fabric went down with bark chips on top. Now every time I have cause to lift the fabric I find ants apparently taking advantage of the covered highway away from the birds. There is now an ant nest in the sand under each of those pavers, a bit like the Polynesians colonising the Pacific islands ;-)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

I find just turning the hose on the ant mounts prior to cutting the grass, does a good job...... the raised areas just disappear level with the rest of the lawn so you don't scalp ot when you cut it............. sometimes they come back a few weeks later but I just get the hose out again

Geoff

Reply to
geoff