Laundry basin drain/strainer installation

I've taken the drain/strainer (I'm not sure of the accepted name) out of the stainless steel basin in the laundry, because the plastic (nylon?) washer on the underside was broken, and the basin was leaking around the drain. Now I'm wondering what is necessary/sufficient for reinstallation. First question: do I need to get another washer? If so, should it be nylon like the old one, or rubber? Next, for sealing the top mating surface, I see references to plumber's putty (which I don't possess) and also to caulking. I do have various tubes of caulking. If caulking is OK, which specific types are acceptable?

Thanks Gib

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Caulking isn't ok, it's water based and won't last 10 minutes.

You may be able to get another rubber seal, but you may have to buy a new waste.

when asembling, use silicone sealant, allow it to squelch out and cut it off with a blade when set

Reply to
Phil L

I was using "caulking" in ageneric sense - certainly not meaning water-based.

Reply to
Gib Bogle