Lathe and Plaster Wall Removal

Hello All

I am about to embark on extending my ensuiute bathroom. To do this I need to remove a part of a lathe and plaster wall (Not solid) where the extension will come into the bedroom. My question is how would I remove this part of wall leaving the end neat and solid ready for the stud wall to be attached. The L&P wall is not load bearing.

TIA

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

I've cut neat holes in lath and plaster for socket back boxes using a jigsaw. Providing the plaster is sound and not about to all fall off, I would imagine this would scale up to cutting all the way up the wall.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Funny place to keeep a 'Lathe'...

Well, a bolster chisel would remove the plaster but I suspect you might need a large angle grinder to lop a bit off the 'Lathe' !.....

Me thinks you mean 'Lath and Plaster, not something that is used to machine wood or metal. :~)

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Thanks Andy, judging by some of my other walls the plaster may very well just fall off!

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

Having determined the position of the end stud, score the plaster on both sides with a stanley knife or old wood chisel guided with a straight edge. Carefully chisel an 8" hole right through the wall next to the stud, then cut along the edge of the stud with a cheap hardpoint handsaw - don't apply too much pressure.

Reply to
Rob Morley

A word of caution that may not apply to you but might do so to some else reading this thread at some point. This was a painfull experience which I wouldn't like anyone else to suffer.

I had to strip all the lath and plaster walls off my stone cottage as they were in poor condition and had ventilation wind passing from the copious underfloor ventilation into the roof space; there was therefore no - and I repeat NO insulation in the walls whatsoever. For the first couple of winters we literally cowered round the small coal burning fire. That part of the sob story over.

What I missed in removing the plasterwork in the first room was that all the plaster tags pushed through the laths when the plastering was originally done came off and went down the gap where the wind was coming up and bridged the dpc for the floor. Fortunately I spotted this before any damage was done but I had a very unpleasant task removing all this broken off plaster.

If you are doing something similar make sure that slips of plywood are put in place at the skirting level to prevent this.

Rob

Reply to
robkgraham

Purely to correct the subject, I've not been following the thread but I have to look at the subject every time I pass this way! :-)

Reply to
usenet

I haven't been following it either as it got lost in the gap between newsreaders[1] but I did think a hammer would be more effective than a lathe at removing a plaster wall.

Owain

[1] Repair a corrupted Outlook Express -- 20 MB download from Microsoft, or 5MB download from Mozilla/Thunderbird. Now using Thunderbird :-)
Reply to
Owain