Latex Gloves

Just ran out of cheapo disposable latex gloves and bought a new box of

100 - this time from Screwfix. O dear. Mistake.

  • Too thin

  • Too fragile
  • Powdered
  • They stick to themselves

The previous ones were adequately thick and strong, not powdered and did not stick to themselves! Unfortunately no longer available from original supplier. (I *hate* the feel of the powder on my hands. Hence unpowdered are very much preferred.)

Any suggestions where to get some better ones at a good price? Or a brand to look out for?

Reply to
Rod

Next time you're in a hospital. ;-)

Reply to
George

I get mine from Boots - ask for a large box ( 100 pairs? ) at the pharmacy counter.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon, as it happens! :-)

Reply to
Rod

Ask the nurse for some. ;-)

Reply to
George

I get them from CPC. I don't recall them being powdered, but I don't seem to have any at the moment to actually check.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I can recommend London Ambulance Service :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

My next ride with them will (probably) be when partner goes to London but I need some gloves before then. :-)

Reply to
Rod

Have you tried nitrile gloves instead? I now use these and find them much better than latex. Only downside is the blue/purple colour.

You can get boxes of 100 from eBay fairly cheaply.

Reply to
Caecilius

Rod wrote,

of wanting a source of decent latex gloves

& hopefully the nurse will tell you to sodoff! Despite permanent publicity about increased spending on the NHS most of that seems to be being spent on admin. Front line services are under constant pressure to increase throughput with ever decreasing funds, (& btw, most gloves in hospitals are latex-free due to allergy risk).
Reply to
Si

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Everglade latex gloves from CPC

just checked, no powder in them

There are also the blue nitrile ones which are stronger

Reply to
geoff

Many thanks to all who made responded. I have now ordered 100 nitrile ones from ebay - will see what they are like. (Well, the NHS can breathe a sigh of relief - I always was going to pay for them and now I have.)

Reply to
Rod

Try the supermarket - they had some at morrisons - near the paracetamol I think they were.

Reply to
Mogga

Hardly burning a hole in the pot though is it,however if you want to kick up a stink...thousands of pounds is being incinerated in drugs that the hospital burn each year due to patients not wanting or collecting from the hospital pharmacy.

Hows that one.

Reply to
George

Nitrile are much tougher - and don't self destruct in white spirit. If you have a Costco near they are usually available at a similar price to the Latex (and in grey rather than purple!).

Reply to
Peter Parry

If there are any gloves still hanging around that really are latex, the nurse should be only too pleased to get rid of them. Latex allergy prevention was a big thing in the NHS a few years ago and we even had to get verification from our printers that the adhesive used on the back of shipping carton labels contained none.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

The blue ones are stronger, but also they aren't so close fitting. If doing something like handling a filthy bicycle chain, I find they catch between the chain and teeth when rethreading, tear, and then you might as well not have worn them. It will depend what you're doing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If its a patient transfer (white job) rather than just transport & you are anywhere near Barnehurst it could well be my daughter.

Look out for a blue eyed blond answering to the name Becky :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

What? I never use gloves in that type of situation. I'm tactile. Seriously, I need to be able to do the job and gloves are so prohibitive.

Reply to
Clot

I use them ( latex gloves ) for handling brand new instruments, when I want to prevent finger marks getting all over the metalwork while I'm setting them up. I seem to manage very well handling even the smallest instruments ( flutes and pics ), and they're sensitive enough to allow me to detect even the slightest lost motion in the keywork.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard