Latex and Nitrile gloves

Hi, I have to wear gloves when using many d-i-y materials, otherwise big recovery breaks are needed. The latex gloves are ideal in offering low tactile barrier but they tend to disintegrate far too easily. The next up the scale seem to be the Nitrile type but the ones I've seen are far more clunky than the latex material. Are there any gloves that have the fineness of latex but with more durability? TIA

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

The message from Mike Halmarack contains these words:

Vinyl gloves - they're like thicker less stetchy latex gloves. I don't like them 'cos they're too small for my hands and don't stretch as well

- painful across the knuckles after a while, but if you can get 'em in your size they're OK. Much tougher than latex and resistant to brake-cleaner and other things that shred latex rapidly.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King typed

As Guy says, vinyl gloves are tough and much less stretchy than latex.

This means that they'ye baggy if they're big enough and they are a greater tactile barrier. The bagginess also can impede dexterity.

You win some, you lose some...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

|Hi, |I have to wear gloves when using many d-i-y materials, otherwise big |recovery breaks are needed. The latex gloves are ideal in offering low |tactile barrier but they tend to disintegrate far too easily. The next |up the scale seem to be the Nitrile type but the ones I've seen are |far more clunky than the latex material. Are there any gloves that |have the fineness of latex but with more durability?

I buy my size of latex gloves in packs of 50 or 100 from our local *large*, not Boots chemists. They are not expensive, they get thrown away when I stop for a coffee, or whatever. I also have a few pairs of Glovelies

for heavy jobs.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

"Glovelies 'Original' PVC All Purpose Household Gloves provide long life protection against hot water, household chemicals and general duties."

Protection against general duties? :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I have tried these in the past and they are less comfortable. The added durability can be helpful though

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

The bagginess was an issue for me. My dexterity needs all the help it can get.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I've had large quantities of the latex gloves in the past. I don't mind paying the price for them or throwing them away at regular intervals. They do seem to disintegrate at the most inopportune moment though. It's so difficult not to just finish what I'm doing before I change them. Then the long wait for new skin. :-)

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I don't mind a few general duties if they can be done with fluffy pink embellishments. Carry on there!

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

The message from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

£3/100 from the local farm shop - but I agree with the OP that for some uses they're just a bit to fragile. As I type I have red paint on my thumb from a split glove while painting the ply for the new trailer.
Reply to
Guy King

The message from Frank Erskine contains these words:

Yeah- you never have to work again.

Reply to
Guy King

ords:

Does anyone make any that are a little bit longer? I find that if I am doing something that is particularly wet and messy (rather than painting) the liquid can get in around the wrists.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

The message from "Andrew" contains these words:

Gaffer tape.

Reply to
Guy King

Mike Halmarack typed

You could try double gloving, preferably using a larger size for the outer glove but you lose sensitivity...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

A good safety net for my purposes, thanks.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Ouch! I was rather hoping for a solution with less painful defolliculation on removal.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

"Andrew" typed

Either

Shave your wrists first or

cut the fingers off a glove, which you use as a gauntlet and then gaffer tape your glove onto the gauntlet.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

words:

Veterinary supplier maybe? Used when they are imitating James Herriot=20 saving a breech birth calf

Anna =20

--=20 ~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England =20 |""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

You can get surgical gloves in nitrile. Few medical establishments still use latex gloves, because they can produce allergy.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

If you can use inner and outer gloves of different colours it will be more obvious when one pops.

Exercise caution if Googling for double-bagging, a similar principle used in another context ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain