Latched Cranked Bolt ?

We have a motor home. We also have two dogs. For travelling the dealer made up a quite nice partition to keep them away from the driving area, it fits in a slot on one side, and the other side is located by a cranked bolt. Problem is, in use the cranked bolt works loose with flexing of the structure and eventually the partition falls out and we have to search for the next layby !

Before I make one, is there such a thing as a cranked bolt that has positive location - something like a spring loaded button that needs pressing before it slides?

For clarification the Cranked Bolt is like this one:

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

But how do you get them to sit on your lap when you're travelling then? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

Not a direct answer, but these are also known as necked bolts. May be worth a further search?

Reply to
News

Andrew, normally the operating knob for such bolts are threaded into the sliding bolt itself. Could you extend the thread in both parts and drill a hole in the body of the bolt so the knob can be screwed in further and lock it in the extended position.

A second hole could be drilled with the bolt in the fully retracted position to lock it open when needed to avoid the knob shaking out.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

You might b looking for some kind of window closure, sliding sash lock,casement child lock or something, but impossible to say really, you will need to search. Obv there is no such thing as a 'motorhome dog gate fitting' so you will be improvising and adapting.

TW

Reply to
TimW

Can you use an over-centre latch instead?

Reply to
Nightjar

That's a good idea.

Also, if it's like the one in the picture, you could put something in the slot behind the knob to stop it retracting, maybe as simple as a magnet, depending on materials.

'Spring loaded cranked bolt' is worth putting into Google images too.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

They both cheerfully would, but weigh in at 25 kGs each ! (Hungarian Viszla's)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Still not sure why you need a barrier. A motorhome is nothing like a car and I really don't think a loose dog poses anything like the same threat as a dog on the back seat of a car.

Ours wander freely (in theory). In practice they conk out on the floor.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Thanks for all the good suggestions - I particularly like the one by Bob :)

However I had the answer all the time but didn't think of it - a 'Spring Bolt' as per this link :

The spring constantly pushes the bolt outwards and needs compressing to open. I have them fitted on my stock trailer, which has a similar (but hinged) partition that is secured with one.

It was Syd Rumpo's mention of springs that reminded me, so thank you all.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

A second 'ordinary' bolt that goes into the back of the cranked one :-)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

In practice one used to leap into my lap and put his paws on the steering wheel.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Swap it for a straight bolt. A couple of spacers may be needed.

Reply to
Capitol

Spring loaded bolts are routinely used in horse trailers for the same reason you are asking.

Reply to
newshound