Last nights Property Ladder

Page 1 of 2
I missed the very end of Property Ladder last night, I saw the finished result (don't understand why he had to buy a plasma screen for it) & the valuations, but did he actually sell it in the end, and did he make any money on it?
--
Tim Mitchell

Tim Mitchell wrote:

Mmmmm....Beeeeeeny...
He hadn't sold it by the end of the program.
--
Grunff

And what toffee nosed sloanies the estate agents were!
Colin M

I thought it was a let down, not telling us whether he sold it or not. Surely that's the whole point of the programme? It was interesting though. He obviously doesn't read this NG, he could have saved a lot of grief. Ed
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:00:58 -0000, "Ed Rear"

I thought it said he hadn't sold it yet (whether that was the time the programme was made or the present wasn't clear, but I suspect the present).

They normally do tell, so presumably he had not sold it then.
He seemed the type to ignore all advice, even from experts he was paying to give advice, so uk.d-i-y would probably not have helped either. Was a good lesson in how not to get on with your neighbours. 2 grand to dig a test hole in their garden?!
--
Tim Mitchell

"Tim Mitchell" wrote | He seemed the type to ignore all advice, even from experts he was | paying to give advice, so uk.d-i-y would probably not have helped | either. Was a good lesson in how not to get on with your neighbours. | 2 grand to dig a test hole in their garden?!
And that was *before* he converted the downstairs flat to uninhabitable dereliction! If I'd been the downstairs neighbour he'd have been bacnkrupt or kneecapped by the end of the programme.
Owain
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:03:36 -0000, "Owain"

The neighbour they interviewed looked the moaning type anyway. Look like Laurence big cuffs brother too.
I bet he was sat looking at the party wall agreement on his mantelpiece refusing to sign it just to be difficult and he got his reward for holding up the work. ;-)
The guy doing the program was still a nob though. ;-)
Mark S.

Yes I thought that! To that extent the twit upstairs had my sympathy. However, if he did move in and live there, they wouldnt spoil another pair of neighbours would they?

Some things never change
Mark S wrote

This can't be right. If he was officially notified of the work as per the Party Wall etc. Act, a strict timetable was in place and the neighbour has to appoint a Party Wall Surveyor within a certain time. It is the Surveyor who agrees and signs the Award, not the neighbour, so it must have been the Surveyor who was holding things up. My guess is there was a lot more to this story than you heard on the programme - the need for trial holes suggests there might have been a structural problem with the party wall for instance.
If he had followed the rules properly instead of jumping the gun, he would probably not have had so many problems. That's the real point of the Act.
Wasn't the guy they interviewed the bloke downstairs who had all the water damage? I felt really sorry for him.

Agreed. I thought Leon the architect was a bit of a wally as well. You didn't get much info about the design stage and Planning & Building Regs approvals etc so presumably that all went smoothly, but surely he should have advised the bloke about Party Wall procedures? Then again, probably he was only instructed to do half the job.
Peter
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:34:48 +0000, Tim Mitchell

No, and probably not. I don't think he deserves to either, the idiot. Still, that wouldn't have made 'good telly' would it.
Don't like Beeny either, but that's probably just me. -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs
Hmmmmm - does anyone want to dig a test hole in my garden - a bargain at 1500 ;)

snipped-for-privacy@awt-ltd.co.uk (Kev Parkin) wrote in message

Yup, just you...

Bit difficult not to be condescending when dealing with total plonkers.

I think Ms Beeny is being very diplomatic when on camera - inside she is screaming at the naiive renovators. But no-one has mentioned that she said last night that she could wire a house and plumb it too ... any telly producers want to challenge her to prove it (anyone know her credentials)?
Mungo

she is

wire a

(anyone know

I think they should buy 2 terraced houses next door to one another - give a novice one, Ms Beeney the other and give them the same amount of money - then see how much more profit she makes!

Now that would be interesting. I wonder if the power bods from the TV read this board like they seem to read UK gardening?
mich wrote:

She does do alright for herself....
http://www.tv-celebrity.co.uk/diy/sarah-beeny.htm
Angela wrote:

It's not just about profit - timescale is equally important if you're doing it as a business.
Nick

another -

amount
you're
Maybe they should have to take a fixed weekly salary from the money they get given too.............then the longer they take the less money they have. Also any money left over could count towards the profit
Angela