Last nights Million Pound Property Experiment

Page 3 of 3
I persoanlly would like to see more of the lady architect they used yesterday, she had some good ideas and I think better taste than those two wallys.
I hope they do an out take show, then we really might find out what happened with the first builder!
Angela

Watching the show made me think that apart from a fireplace and the paint in one room, the rest of the design was hers. IIRC, the wallies even said they hired an architect because this size of project was way above their league.

Probably left due to "artistic" differences. i.e. he had to be stopped from physically attacking the wallies by the production crew.
Personally, I just loved the Harrogate house where they argued that they had measured the garage and it was big enough for a car :-))
As others have said, the series has depended on fresh (large) injections of capital.
I would like to see Nigel given 2 years and a wodge of money and see what he can do. I have no doubt he could make charity more money!
Witchy wrote:

In fact essentially you are correct.
Except they think of it as a single question 'will this make entertaining television?'
What is interesting about a guiy who spends all evening first at teh refeiernce library and on teh 'net checking thungs up, manages to identify a decent l;awyer, talks to all teh builders first, and in short approaches it as one would any other major project?
Nothing. Its about as interesting as going to an evening out with the chartered accountants society. (Which I have domne, in fact. The high spot was surreptitious placing of bets on the length of the speech by the chairman. My accountant won with a mind numbing bet of 45 minutes. He took 47).
Its all part of teh general celebratin of utter incompetence that has hallmarked teh media and the education ssytem and teh government every since Phony Tony came to power.
Its acleed 'empowerment' - making you feel that even you couldn't be as big a dickhead as the bloke on the telly.

807K for a semi with a derelict "other half" whose owner said he would do something about the dry rot? Whatever the polish on the place, if next door is a dump would you be happy to stay there?
I wonder if the 480K purchase price (or thereabouts) was reasonable though - at the asking price of 340K (or so) with all the work that was needed you'd think you could buy it cheaper. Hey, but what do I know? In fact, beyond dressing a room, what do the boys know?
Still, it is entertaining telly, watching how the 'easy money' is not that easy.
Mungo
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:46:41 +0000, John Rumm

I think they have so far made 171,000 Profit
And have had 'funds' of 422,000
Graeme wrote:

With last nights addin 100k plus - that sounds about right.....

Which begs the question - if you have that sort of slush fund then why not forget doing the 100k terrace - wade straight in on something big enough to be able to return a decent profit like last nights.
--
Cheers,

John.

: Is it just me or is something not adding up here? : : I was under the impression the idea was: : : repeat : buy a house : do it up : sell it for a profit : take said profit and add original capital : until repeated seven times and you flog your 1 million pound house : This was how they sold it, but from a few programmes in it was obvious that they are doing all the houses in parallel, presumbly because of time constraints. Looks like it was done all last winter, there have been no summer shots. Damn I was looking forward to seeing your typical builder topless and showing some "cleavage".
I reckon because of the length of time to offload some of the houses that it would have taken around 4 years to do it. They have been doing other crap morning DIY makeover shows/ spots for the 2 years previous to this, so I doubt they were doing this show then.
Suzanne
Suz wrote:

This is probably one of the best explanations when you think about it....
The production team would have set up parallel builds in order to bring the show in in a reasonable time frame - and use a solid block of the presenters and productions staffs time. This leaves the problem of needing to predict in advance what the profit from each build will be, in order to set the appropriate financial "entry point" on supposedly subsequent builds.
The moment one of the builds actually returns significantly less profit than anticipated (and this had happened twice big time so far), the whole house of cards falls down, and it becomes impossible to maintain the illusion that the builds were done in strict sequence.
--
Cheers,

John.

But you do have to wonder why they didn't try to rebrand the series with a different theme - did they think viewers wouldn't notice the maths didn't add up or something? Maybe they had too much film in the can where the 'boys' were referring to the 'experiment' to be able to eradicate it.
It's also a bit puzzling about the departure of Nigel the Property Developer. If the builds were in parallel, you'd expect him to have been involved in all of them, wouldn't you; however he left after build 3 or 4 in the sequence. My guess is he was only contracted to do the small houses, and that the departure was planned all along, and nothing to do with the primadonna antics of the boys.
Assuming the builds *were* parallel, and Nigel was meant to be involved in all of them, I would think the producers would have had him firmly tied in contractually, as otherwise disappearing midway through a production shoot like this would have totally destroyed the illusion of continuity.
Plausible?
David
Lobster wrote:

Perhaps they thought the experiment was a better "hook"? Maybe they were counting on enough of the populace having got used to Gordon Brown style maths to not notice ;-)

It could be they did a couple of batches of parallel work - say the first 4 houses in one block, then the rest in the next. Although in that case you would have thought they could have made more of an allowance for the shortfall...
--
Cheers,

John.