Lashing a satellite dish to a chimney (max size?)

I'm looking to upgrade my dish from a regular Sky Minidish to a 90cm Toroidal one with multiple LNB's to indulge my latest tinkering hobby.

I don't really want a hulking great dish on the front of the house as I think the Sky one at the moment looks bad enough, so I'm going to take this opportunity to move it to the back of the house as well.

Unfortunately, if I move it to the back, the only place I can mount it where it will still be able to see all the satellites I want is the chimney.

I've done some research and am aware that if it will be visible above the roof line then planning permission will be required.

I've also seen that you shouldn't drill into the chimney breast and instead use a lashing kit.

The problem is I can't see any of the lashing kits saying what the maximum loading is or whether they're suitable for more than just the standard sky mini dish.

Will I run into problems using a 90cm dish with a double lashing kit on a pole?

The dish I'm installing is this:

double lashing kits I'm looking at are like this:

Seri

[...]

The double lashing k= its I'm looking at are like this:
Thanks

I wouldn't bother too much about the lashing kit and pole, the instructions= should tell you what weight it is designed to carry. Its will the chimneys= tack take the strain of wind leverage

Reply to
Kipper at sea

idal one with multiple LNB's to indulge my latest tinkering hobby.

hink the Sky one at the moment looks bad enough, so I'm going to take this = opportunity to move it to the back of the house as well.

ere it will still be able to see all the satellites I want is the chimney.

roof line then planning permission will be required.

ad use a lashing kit.

m loading is or whether they're suitable for more than just the standard sk= y mini dish.

Not a good idea especially in windy situations. The extra wind force may bring the chimney down.

Reply to
harry

I would lash it rather than bolt on - as the leverage combined with wind rocking on the bolts can damage individual bricks - but the lashing kits tend to pull the stack "together".

If the disk is no wider than the stack face it's nearest too, I cannot imaging the wind loading will be any worse than it is for the chimney on its own, but it's worth taking some care as chimneys falling to bits is rather dangerous!

As for PP, I very much doubt if anyone gives a bollocks if it's on the chimney. It's if it's on a massive pole 10 ft higher they might notice.

Reply to
Tim Watts

X-post to uk.tech.digital-tv

David WE Roberts

Thanks for the input and the pointer to uk.tech.digital-tv, I wasn't aware of its existence.

Seri

Seri

Besides, poles tend to sing and vibrate probably the last thing you want in a sat dish I'd have thought.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Firstly, is the chimney strong enough? It needs to be a minimum of six bricks by six bricks, and with really good mortar. Drive a screwdriver into the mortar joints to check. Use two double lashing kits. Mount the four lashing wires no less than five courses apart. The top one should be five courses below the top of the stack. The dish should ideally be half way down, between brackets 2 and 3. Don't over-tighten the wires, but you will need to check them at least once a year for tension. You must use corner plates. Use a length of steel or aluminium scaffold tube. Aerial mast is no good for this. Check that the dish will mount onto a 2" pole. It might have a minimum of 2.5". The thing that might let you down in strong winds will be the flexing of the brackets. You could lose signal momentarily. The wind just above a sloping roof can be far stronger than it would be elsewhere. It can literally lift you off your feet.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Do you have a back garden? If so, how about mounting the dish at ground level far enough away from the house to see the satellites?

-- Dave W

Reply to
Dave W

Might have to have quite a long back garden, the elevation to Astra is anything from 18 to 26 degrees depending on your latitude. Call it 22 degrees and a 30' high roof line:

Tan 22 = 30/d d = 30/Tan 22 = 74.25'

An option is the dish on a short pole at gutter level looking back over the roof. Easier to install and gain access than up at the chimney, also have a better bit of structure to bolt the mountings into.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice