Laser levels How to?

I was using non-transparent hosepipe, with bits of clear tube bodged on the ends. If I needed such a level more often, I'd use some clear tubing. Maybe even add valves at the end so it can be left filled, and then also moved without emptying...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Only in General Practice, when it would cause no end of difficulties.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Or where you also need to match a pattern around the room when papering or tiling.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Hang on, this isn't the Saniflo thread!

Reply to
Niall

Hello Thomas

If you had a permanent one, then couldn't you add a de-algae-fyer to the water, along with some colouring?

Reply to
Simon Avery

You'd have to. Table salt, maybe?

I'd leave out the colouring -- that water will drip somewhere sometime...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I think I must be missing something too.

Surely all you have to do is stand the tripod on something that is 600mm or taller.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Delere

But then I would have to be able to get up to that height in order to level the laser ;-(

I've thought further on this and decided the simple way is to use a

1200mm level in plumb mode as the transfer rod. I suppose I could get fancy and stick a measuring tape on to the end of it.

Or perhaps a plumb line with the plumb bob tipping the laser dot, a fixed distance could be marked on the line and then use this to set out the upper points along the wall

I was really trying to justify buying one of these laser levels. In the end they are so ridculously cheap I just bought one anyway, just to play with . (Well it is Christmas )

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

In message , Paul Mc Cann wrote

I purchased a £18 model from Lidl complete with tripod and alignment head. My reason for it is to mount a camera on the levelled tripod/head assembly in order to take 360 degree panorama photographs. The picture stitching software works a lot better if all the photographs are taken with the same angles.

I can see its usefulness for DIY - projecting the laser line vertically could help with wallpaper hanging :)

Reply to
Alan

The real problem with water levels is 'stiction'. I made a level using 1/4" bore clear plastic tube which I had lying around, and found it virtually useless as I could get the water to settle anywhere in about a +/- 30mm band. This seems to be due to the stiction of the water to the inner surface of the tube.

Peter should have somewhat better luck with a wider bore, such as a hose pipe, but it will have some residual uncertainty. I would be interested to know if there are any tables (or calcs) that relate length and bore to uncertainty. Well, obviously there are - what I mean is where are they.

-- Phil Addison The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to reply

Reply to
Phil Addison

Drop of washing up liquid added to the water would probably cure that by destroying (or at least much reducing) the surface tension. Untested mind but that is what I would try but agree 1/4" tube does seem a bit narrow to be particulary successfull.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

snip

When I tried it I used a 1/2" hose pipe but still got inaccuracy. Mind you it was a full lebgth hose and I gave no thought to bubbles etc.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Would the addition of some 'un-stiction' to the tubing change things? I am thinking of a touch of washing up liquid here.

Dave

Reply to
davenpat