Laser levels How to?

Page 1 of 2
Given that the tripods supplied with these cheap laser levels probably only extend to about 1500mm/5ft how does one use them to level anything higher tham that or am I missing something/thick ?
Paul Mc Cann

You could use a stick/staff for example if you want to transfer a mark from one side of a room to the other.
Hold the end of the staff (this could be a bit of batten) on the mark and mark where the laser shines.
Next go to the other side of the room hold the staff roughly where you think it should be, then line up the laser dot with your mark on the staff and mark the top of the staff.
You have to level the tripod first of course.
Hope this helps
--
Danny Burns
www.buildsure.co.uk

Paul, To do something higher use a yard rule (or metre rule IF you must !) and align the spot on the appropriate offset. Same applies when going lower.
Andrew Mawson
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 18:52:22 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Mawson"

I must be thick or something - I honestly hadn't thought of doing that!
Mind you, I'll trot out the excuse that I only recently (a matter of weeks ago) got and used a laser level for the first time - one of those cheapo jobs which looks like a spirit level on a stick. So pleased with it I went back for the next job and got a rotating job. Well pleased.
PoP

I've looked at these myself - but not yet bought one. Am still wondering about whether to speak nicely to Father Christmas!
I had rather hoped that when, for example, hanging border round a room, you could set the thing rotating and line the border up with the spot as it whizzes past without requiring any pencil marks. Is this being too optimistic?
It seems to me that if you have to make one set of marks with the level and then transfer them to a different altitude with a yard-stick, you might as well have just gone round the room with an ordinary spirit level. Comments on a postcard please . .
[I suppose that with a rotating laser, the two ends of the line are guaranteed to meet - but the whole thing still may not be exactly horizontal because of tolerances in the kit]
--
Cheers,
Set Square
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:04:47 -0000, Set Square wrote:

A border at the ceiling needs to follow the ceiling rather than real true level...
Might be useful for a dado rail or border but I really think you still set it up so the offset from floor was equal rather that true level.
I do like the point about the ends meeting up though when aligned with a rotating laser. I almost bought the Focus one a month or so back but was suffering cash flow problems (to much flow, not enough cash) so didn't. Last couple of times I've been in they haven't had any in stock.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

The cheapo one i have has two end attachments, one to shoot a dot and one for a line (which is perfect if you dont want pencil marks)
regards Tim
<snip>

But the line is presumably only useful if you can get it at working level? If, for example you want to stick some border on a wall a little way down from the ceiling at (say) 2.1 metres but the tripod only allows you to use the level at up to 1.5 meters, you still have to use a 0.6 metre stick to transfer the level - which seems a lot less convenient. Am I missing something?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 21:12:21 -0000, dg wrote:

Yep, the brain makes rooms "square" no matter how distorted they are in reality. See the many "tricks of the eye" that exploit this.
Fix it so it looks right not actually is right. I *must* remember to follow this rule more rigidly myself. Says him with a couple of CUs that look on the slant when viewed from a distance through a (correct) doorway but are "correct" relative to the immediatly adjacent walls/ceiling.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

I'm a great believer in setting apparent horizontals especially in domestic situations but this isn'y always possible. There are times when the object has to be level to function correctly
Paul Mc Cann
snip
Paul Mc Cann wrote:

papering or tiling.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

I think I must be missing something too.
Surely all you have to do is stand the tripod on something that is 600mm or taller.
Sean
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 10:10:20 +0000 (UTC), "Sean Delere"

But then I would have to be able to get up to that height in order to level the laser ;-(
I've thought further on this and decided the simple way is to use a 1200mm level in plumb mode as the transfer rod. I suppose I could get fancy and stick a measuring tape on to the end of it.
Or perhaps a plumb line with the plumb bob tipping the laser dot, a fixed distance could be marked on the line and then use this to set out the upper points along the wall
I was really trying to justify buying one of these laser levels. In the end they are so ridculously cheap I just bought one anyway, just to play with . (Well it is Christmas )
Paul Mc Cann

I purchased a 18 model from Lidl complete with tripod and alignment head. My reason for it is to mount a camera on the levelled tripod/head assembly in order to take 360 degree panorama photographs. The picture stitching software works a lot better if all the photographs are taken with the same angles.
I can see its usefulness for DIY - projecting the laser line vertically could help with wallpaper hanging :)
--
Alan
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:04:47 -0000, Set Square wrote:

Possibly, not having one and I forgot to mention this in my other post. Shadows could make for some interesting contortions so as not to block the laser.
Those that have these rotating jobbies, is this a problem in practice?
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Only in General Practice, when it would cause no end of difficulties.
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 00:22:46 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"

Hang on, this isn't the Saniflo thread!
--
Niall

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:40:22 +0000, Paul Mc Cann

Put the tripod on a table or something similar
PoP
Or upside down from the ceiling? :o)
dg