Laser levels for tiling a room....

I am about to tile all of the walls in a c shaped room from floor to ceiling.

I am therefore in the market for a decent but good value laser level so I can mark the walls with a perfectly horizontal plumb line all the way round and also mark perfectly plumb vertical lines on each piece of wall.

I did use a screwfix one a few years ago, but felt it was rather flimsy. It went back to the shop for a refund.

And recommendations?

Reply to
stephenten

spirit level & a pencil?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

NO! Even a cheap laser level is better than that. I only have a cheap one bought from a shed many years ago when they were new to the DIY market. In your case I would suggest looking for recommendations in Amazon, which I usually find pretty reliable for tools.

Reply to
newshound

I agree that a pencil and spirit level just does not cut the mustard.....

The screwfix laser level allowed me to mark a level line all around the room before it fell apart.....

And the laser level allowed me to mark up a vertical line once I found the midpoint of each wall.....

Reply to
stephenten

On Saturday 18 January 2014 21:50 snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote in uk.d-i- y:

I used a Stanley CL90 that I got on ebay half price from bloke in London who'd bought it to do some tiling and had done with it.

It was *very* useful - having a cross line was invaluable.

It did a lot of other wirk until I dropped it (outside, tied to a ladder setting a level datum around my bungalow gutter board for guttering).

I'm in the market for a new one.

My priorities are:

Self levelling (a must)

Cross line and (but less importantly) a 3rd line at 90 degrees to the side.

Green would be nice this time for extra visibility.

Reply to
Tim Watts

pfft 6 ft spirit level & pencil serves many very well...

my case? SMS?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

?? define "fall apart"?

spirit levels work for verticals too...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

It was mounted on a tripod that was of flimsy construction.

You had to rotate the laser level around the tripod, trouble was that the tripod moved as you rotated the laser level around some laser light moved up or down.

Reply to
stephenten

These work well and last for years. Abit overpriced.

Capitol

If that works and looks right you must have the *only* house in the whole world that has perfectly plumb, flat and square walls and openings.

A laser level that can rotate is great for making sure that a row of tiles (or wallpaper border) are a single contiguos row and not slightly spiral and also run level with say the window sill (that won't be *exactly* level).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I had to mark the level of the bottom of the wall panels for a wet room. I used a level and a pencil to work my way round the room, cross checking by taking some levels across the room, and when I got back to where I'd started I was only 1mm out.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You can always paint it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Lot of people out there sre in sledgehammer-to-crack-a-nut syndrome. Lasers not neccessary for tiny job like this. Just another toy.

Maybe handy if you did it for a living.

Reply to
harryagain

Disagree. It's one of those tools that, once you have one to hand, it finds more uses than you might expect.

Reply to
dom

On Sunday 19 January 2014 10:24 snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes - guttering, tiling, shelving, landscaping (if your garden is on a slope). The list is long!

Reply to
Tim Watts

FSV of "long" ;-)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I've got a couple of cheapies, bought for decking, but you can't see the line in daylight.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com wrote on 19/01/2014 :

I agree, brilliantly simple to use and in my case very accurate. Try this simple test.

Mark an horizontal line around even a small room with a pencil and level. Note how far out it is where the lines meet.

Now try it with a laser level marking at the end of its scanned line. Mine met up with no discernible error.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That is easily overcome, mark the reference lines at dusk.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Not awfully practical.....

Reply to