Laser levels

My (basic) laser level has stopped spinning. I will open it up tomorrow, but in case it is not fixable do I recall an earlier thread enthusing over the Bosch Quigo? Or any other suggestions?

Current need is to help set up a datum for a patio. I recognise that I will probably need to mark this up after sunset.

Reply to
newshound

The Quigo is useful - for what it is - but it's definitely not the same as a spinny-scanny laser level.

What you get is just a basic red cross projected. It'll keep it horizontal if the box is a bit off level in any axis, but not by much, and it's not massively bright.

Reply to
Adrian

In message , newshound writes

I've got a Stanley Fatmax CLLi

Think mine was cheaper than that from somewhere else.

Cross line laser, Comes with an extendable pole for internal use, which I've found useful, can be mounted on a tripod. Magnetic mount, laser target.

Had it a couple of years, stayed accurate (as any other level in this price range I imagine), been dropped a few times and still works fine.. Happy with the purchase.

Yes , as you say, you'd need to use it in lower light conditions for any distance outside I imagine - again, typical of this sort of price range laser level.

Reply to
Chris French

I have the Bosch GCL25, cross line with extra point beams top, bottom and sides, useful for e.g. transferring a height on one wall to a horizontal on a perpendicular wall.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks for the comments. Mine looks exactly like this (but not badged Silverline).

Unfortunately it looks as though it is dead, the spinner has become a bit stiff so the rubber band drive from the motor is slipping. I've sprayed silicone spray anywhere which might lead to a bearing, I will see if it recovers in the morning. It's a very skinny drive belt so I think it will be difficult to find a tighter replacement that won't be too tight.

I really have found the spinny type to be much more useful than I imagine the cross ones are. Although the Silverline has indifferent reviews and mine certainly looks cheaply made, inside it is really quite impressive. Not self levelling, you do have to level it carefully before use, but both the adjusters and the vials are quite sensitive and, what is more, the vials have adjustments on them so that you can set it up against a true level if they go out of setting.

Thanks to responders for comments on the Bosch and the Stanley. For my expected limited use I'd rather spend £30-odd than £100 +. Might see if I can add an alternative rotating drive to mine.

Reply to
newshound

If you only have this one job ... why bother with a Laser level ? A water level will give you accuracy for a lot less. Or a surveyors level - no laser needed, no issue in daylight. Or a decent 6' level on a straight edge.

Reply to
rick