large uPVC patio door recommendations? plus

Hi

We are definately looking to buy a uPVC large sliding patio door to replace our lounge window which is over 9' wide. We were considering getting the door made to the exact size of the existing window opening so it would be an easier job to fit (a family member handyman will be fitting it), but most websites weve looked on only do standard sizes with the biggest around 8'. Thats fine though because weve decided 8' would look a lot better and not be too big.

Questions:

  1. Does anyone know a company that makes attractive looking sliding patio doors which have good security and condensation proof etc all mod cons and can deliver?

  1. It would be great if the company fitted the door free or for small extra cost but going for the smaller size means there will be some brickwork to do and matched up on both sides, or on just one side maybe. When you hear 'free fitting' do they mean only if its replacement (same size)?

Also we are considering getting some french doors to replace a window on another part of our house and we have even toyed with the idea of replacing all our windows with upvc (existing are old ali and some are softwood) but as we plan to sell up oneday in the next few years, it may pay just to do the 2 doors and leave existing windows as the future buyer may not like upvc anyway. Whats the general opinion on that? Would replacing all windows be a massive cost we wouldnt need to spend (we can put up with our existing), or would the value of the property increase with a nice style of upvc throughout?

Many thanks for any help or advice

Jayne and James

Reply to
James

A lot may depend upon the character of the house and the local neighbourhood.

We have the dubious pleasure of possessing a house where previous owners/renovators had replaced the two sash feature windows (that would have had cathedral glass panes at the top of the top sash) with bog standard uPVC double glazed. That definitely has a hit on the value of the house, perhaps only a couple of thousand though.

We would like to replace with windows more in keeping with the street, but that will truly cost an arm and a leg. We could have done it a lot more cheaply 3 years ago, but Part L regs have knocked that on the head.

So, consider any effect on value carefully, and don't assume that the only adjustment to value is upwards....

For the patio door a lot will depend upon how nice you want it, and how much you want to spend. We have Monarch Monaframe coated aluminium french doors in the dining room, and they really are lovely fittings, but they're not cheap. When we replace the patio door in the kitchen with opening french doors these will be the first things that we look at.

Finally, if you replacing the thing yourself, don't forget that you will need a building regs certificate, I think that costs in the order of £100. That will be important when you come to sell the place.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

It would be worth checking that it will meet the regulations before you order as it could be expensive to put right.

Reply to
Peter Crosland