Large timber beam needed

Before I google and look in the Yellow Pages, I'd appreciate some advice on what sort of supplier I should be looking for. I have a balcony at the back of my house, with a set of stairs leading down to the garden. Thay are bounded one side by a brick wall and the other side by a banister rail. The steps themselves are hardwood, but on the wall side they are attached to a softwood beam, which in turn is attached to the brick wall with metal studding. This beam is about

15 years old and has started to degrade, to the extent that the lower steps are no longer safe. My plan is to replace this beam. However, it's about 8" by 3", and about 15 foot long. I've bought a much less hefty beam than this from a timber yard before, and that was about the biggest (planed) thing they had in stock. Should I be trying to source this from a timber yard, or would I save time and money going to a sawmill? Are sawmills interested in supplying one-offs like this? Many thanks, Steve
Reply to
Steve Wilson

The ones near me certainly would be. I've just bought six 9"x3"

18ft pressure treated pine beams at £24 each.

Look in yell.

Reply to
Grunff

That's good. Were they planed? Cheers Steve

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Just go to Jewsons or somewhere similar that has a mill and order it. It will probably take a couple of days for delivery.

________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Reply to
jerrybuilt

I bought a large beam 12"x6" form a demolition gang taking down a local school - well seasoned , as the school was 150 yrs old.

Cost me a couple of meat pies for their lunch.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes