Large solar array in Somerset

Not quite true - they took out transmitters in England to deprive the English of television.

Reply to
charles

On Monday 25 November 2013 13:43 snipped-for-privacy@moo.uklinux.net wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Tim Watts

Funny you should say that - it's already been thought of with regard to wind, but it's a general reserve so could be used at night or when the sun doesn't shine. Be prepared to shell out for these insane schemes:

Terry Fields

Not when I was working at the BBC in Cardiff. There was some amusement there concerning the identity of said 'terrorists' who would take out a repeater at the head of a valley without fully appreciating that it supplied little more than one farm.

Indeed it was pointed out to me that there was one microwave repeater site through which most of the television to South Wales was routed. It was unprotected at the time and totally escaped their attention.

Reply to
Andrew May

Reply to
The Other Mike

On 25/11/2013 07:23, Peter Crosland wrote: #

I have a little two AA charger than can manage that under room lighting.

Reply to
dennis

Midhurst in West Sussex definitely suffered, but I don't rememebr the date, but think it was about 1970/1.

all the BBC transmitters at the time served well over 1000 people.

Reply to
charles

But was anyone terrorized? If they weren't, and all these "terrorists" performed was similar actions, I'd hardly call them terrorists - perhaps "inconvenientists" instead?

I suppose we should separate group aims from actions - one could have groups doing mostly terrorist activity making forays into transmitter vandalism, or mostly peaceful groups with occaisional vandalism outbreaks. And they might either be separaratist or unificationist (or whatever) in aims.

#Paul

Reply to
news13k

actually most of it if the cable is big enough. 90%+

The problem is the cost of milking - er making - it that big.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The problem is the cost., Over about 500km it starts to get cheaper to build a local power station.

And of course the storage needed to make it usable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All eco bollocks actually.

No point since the demand on hot sunny summer days is much lower in N europe than in winter evenings

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One has a certain sympathy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Did they get a knighthood?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Transmitters, yes. Repeaters, I think were a bit different and dotted all over the Welsh valleys to ensure coverage.

Reply to
Andrew May

no - they got Sianel Pedwar Cymru (S4C)

Reply to
charles

They were "dotted all over the Welsh valleys" and many other places in Wales. I carried out the coverage surveys of a great many. Whether they were main stations like Wenvoe or repeaters like Ebb Vale or Caerphilly, they were all classed as "transmitters". 1000 people was the minimum until about the late 70s when the limit was dropped to 500. Later on, the figure became 200. A transmitter to serve "one farm" would have been a private "self help" one.

mind you a great many people suggested that the figure of 1000 included sheep ;-)

Reply to
charles

I am fairly convinced that is an apt description of most of those who watch BBC1...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

10% of 2 GW is 200 MW, "enough for 200,000 houses" or a small city...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I presume you mean 7.6MW

7.6mW would hardly disturb the proverbial demented gnat suffering from insomnia.

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

Germany gets over 5% of its energy from solar power and this percentage is increasing by about 20% each year. (It was 1% in 2009.)

They probably have a better idea of supply and demand than you.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy