Large sizes of spanners & sockets

I often do work on my boat & trailer - both are American, and therefore all nuts, bolts etc. are Imperial Unified threads.

I have socket sets that go up to 1" AF and several spanner sets that go up to 7/8" ........... however this does not often cover what is needed. For example today I needed 1+1/16" AF (for a 3/4" UNC nut)

Anybody aware of somewhere that sells spanner sets that cover next range of sizes ... i.e above 7/8" maybe sizes 15/16" to 1 +1/4" Same for sockets.

Getting larger range of metric spanners was easy ... have a set that goes from 4 - 32mm, it's AF seems the problem.

I know I can buy individual sockets & spanners .... but they are expensive (1 + 1/6" cost me =A312 )

Reply to
Osprey

I have socket sets that go up to 1" AF and several spanner sets that go up to 7/8" ........... however this does not often cover what is needed. For example today I needed 1+1/16" AF (for a 3/4" UNC nut)

Anybody aware of somewhere that sells spanner sets that cover next range of sizes ... i.e above 7/8" maybe sizes 15/16" to 1 +1/4" Same for sockets.

Getting larger range of metric spanners was easy ... have a set that goes from 4 - 32mm, it's AF seems the problem.

I know I can buy individual sockets & spanners .... but they are expensive (1 + 1/6" cost me £12 ) _________________________________

Don't know where you are but I think many of us will know of outlets (round here say Dunstable Discount, even Lidl or Aldi) often buy up job lots of cheap Chinese tools, and I have often been tempted to buy one of their sets of giant sockets. Generally the sets come cheaper than buying one individual outsize socket used to 30y ago!

Spamlet

this approach works especially well with large sizes:

Tabby

Drop Dave at

an email and tell him what you are looking for, don't be put off the prices on his website, they refer to vintage tools. He tends to end up with alot of run of the mill types. Also tell him you will take dirty and or scratched.

Baz

Reply to
Baz

You're very unlikely to find imperial sizes in Lidl or Aldi. Cars went metric about 25 years ago.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, cheap outlets do sometimes have imperial sets IMVLE.

NT

Reply to
Tabby