Large Mirror

There is a space above the tiles above the bath in our bathroom that is 107cm high and 166cm wide. We're redocorating and would like to make this bit of wall mirror, in order to make the room feel bigger (it's very cramped, with the sink overlapping the bath, for example). Ideally, the mirror will extend right up to the wall to make this effect work really well. I've looked at the acrylic mirror from

but I'd be worryed about scratch marks appearing. On the other hand, I just don't know where to begin with glass mirror - do I just find a glazier and ask them? Would they cut something this large and how would I mount it? Am I crazy to even consider it over the bath like this? Any comments welcome!

Reply to
Stephen Gower

I have a mirror of similar size mounted over the sink and vanity units in our bathroom. It was actually left by the last occupants. Size wise, it's not out of the ordinary, if you need it to a specific size, your best bet is to talk to a local glazier. They'll cut it to size, polish the edges, and depending on how you propose to fix it, also drill the holes at each corner. Make sure you get proper mirror-fixing screws. These come in packs of four (i think) with a small plastic bush that goes through the fixing holes, and each screw has a chrome topped dome that screws into the head of the screw (very small threaded screw). The glazier will almost certainly have these as well.

Reply to
Wanderer

Oh, and ask him about some cushioning pads to go on the back of the mirror, the fixings hold it 1 or 2 mm off the wall, and over a distance of 1.6m, the mirror will flex rather unnervingly when you clean it!

Reply to
Wanderer

You can get safety glass which has a plastic film glued to the back. Of course you'll spend your life wiping it...

Reply to
stuart noble

Especially if the bathroom is small, I'd recommend a "Demista" pad from the nice people at

It's the best thing I've ever done. You simply run a wire to the lightswitch, and whenever the light is on the pad heats the mirror, and it doesn't steam up. Utterly, utterly fantastic.

Reply to
Ben Blaney

Mirror tiles? (Or whatever they're called...)

-- jc

Reply to
Jeremy Collins

Reply to
info

horrible from here, all the pictures and words are clumped together on top of each other.

Reply to
James Hart

4mm is fine, as well as being the standard "silvered" thickness available from most glaziers. 6mm would be OTT, and bloody heavy too.
Reply to
stuart noble

Why do web designers keep making the same cockups, they dont seem to learn.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Wossallthisabout?

I think I've missed something ..

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'd be amazed! (which probably means it happens!) ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

"sticking"? Hope the tiles are well fixed. 5' x 5' and 6mm isn't going to be lightweight.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

snip

Screen resolution.

Assuming you are using Windows, right click on the desktop, select properties/settings. This will show your current display settings.

800 x600 was once a 'de-luxe' setting to those with 640 resolution but it has been many a long day since I saw it used on a machine.

Personally I like lots of real estate on the desktop.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Surely most change the resolution according to the job in hand? I still use 800x600 for text on a 17" monitor - it gives a comfortable print size for me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Probably not now by a small margin:

is the default in windows now? It used to be 800x600 I would guess it's now 1024x768?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Frisket" wrote | "Dave Plowman" wrote | > Surely most change the resolution according to the job in hand? I still | > use 800x600 for text on a 17" monitor - it gives a comfortable print size | > for me. | Hate to admit it but I'm on 800x600 too - eyes ain't what they were -

Wouldn't it be better to have the monitor on the highest possible resolution, so the text isn't fuzzy, and use larger text? For web, Opera will enlarge text and images up to ten times.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That's almost exactly what I've found, with the exception that some programs handle larger font sizes better than others, but over time I've changed more or less all the bad ones in that respect. Much more comfortable.

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Or even just use an ancient Acorn which anti-aliased text about 20 years ago. One day MS will catch up. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

XP apparently uses 800x600 in a safe-mode equivalent type of thing, and also at install time. I quite often install 98 and that defaults to

640x480 until you configure the graphics card.
Reply to
Chris Hodges