Large Mirror

There is a space above the tiles above the bath in our bathroom that is 107cm high and 166cm wide. We're redocorating and would like to make this bit of wall mirror, in order to make the room feel bigger (it's very cramped, with the sink overlapping the bath, for example). Ideally, the mirror will extend right up to the wall to make this effect work really well. I've looked at the acrylic mirror from http://www.diy-plastics.co.uk but I'd be worryed about scratch marks appearing. On the other hand, I just don't know where to begin with glass mirror - do I just find a glazier and ask them? Would they cut something this large and how would I mount it? Am I crazy to even consider it over the bath like this? Any comments welcome!
--
Selah
Sorry I fed the troll earlier
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 13:54:48 +0000 (UTC), Stephen Gower wrote:

I have a mirror of similar size mounted over the sink and vanity units in our bathroom. It was actually left by the last occupants. Size wise, it's not out of the ordinary, if you need it to a specific size, your best bet is to talk to a local glazier. They'll cut it to size, polish the edges, and depending on how you propose to fix it, also drill the holes at each corner. Make sure you get proper mirror-fixing screws. These come in packs of four (i think) with a small plastic bush that goes through the fixing holes, and each screw has a chrome topped dome that screws into the head of the screw (very small threaded screw). The glazier will almost certainly have these as well.
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:08:42 +0100, Wanderer wrote:

Oh, and ask him about some cushioning pads to go on the back of the mirror, the fixings hold it 1 or 2 mm off the wall, and over a distance of 1.6m, the mirror will flex rather unnervingly when you clean it!
Stephen Gower wrote in message ...

course you'll spend your life wiping it...
Stephen Gower wrote:

Especially if the bathroom is small, I'd recommend a "Demista" pad from the nice people at http://www.hib.co.uk/demista.html It's the best thing I've ever done. You simply run a wire to the lightswitch, and whenever the light is on the pad heats the mirror, and it doesn't steam up. Utterly, utterly fantastic.
--
Ben Blaney
GSF1200 VFR800 CBR600 CD200
Stephen Gower wrote:

Mirror tiles? (Or whatever they're called...)
-- jc
you will find more affordable acrylic mirror on the following page, http://www.diyplastics.com/acrylicmirror.htm
you would buy "glass" mirror from a glass merchant or glazier, you MUST ask for safety backed mirror, 6mm thick at this sort of size would be advisable, fixed with mirror clips, as a glass cutter I would NOT advise that you drill any mirror, tiles look what they are, cheap, sorry to disagree with the (well meaning) advice given in replies to your post kind regards

from most glaziers. 6mm would be OTT, and bloody heavy too.
On 13 Aug 2003 04:40:58 -0700, Steve wrote:

"sticking"? Hope the tiles are well fixed. 5' x 5' and 6mm isn't going to be lightweight.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Andy Dingley wrote:

I'm not sure whether it's Opera or your HTML software but that page looks horrible from here, all the pictures and words are clumped together on top of each other.
--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk /

Why do web designers keep making the same cockups, they dont seem to learn.
Regards, NT

Wossallthisabout?
I think I've missed something ..
Mary

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:19:25 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

Screen resolution.
Assuming you are using Windows, right click on the desktop, select properties/settings. This will show your current display settings. 800 x600 was once a 'de-luxe' setting to those with 640 resolution but it has been many a long day since I saw it used on a machine.
Personally I like lots of real estate on the desktop.
Paul Mc Cann
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:57:53 +0100, Paul Mc Cann

I'd be amazed! (which probably means it happens!) ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Surely most change the resolution according to the job in hand? I still use 800x600 for text on a 17" monitor - it gives a comfortable print size for me.
--
*We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse.

"Frisket" wrote | "Dave Plowman" wrote | > Surely most change the resolution according to the job in hand? I still | > use 800x600 for text on a 17" monitor - it gives a comfortable print size | > for me. | Hate to admit it but I'm on 800x600 too - eyes ain't what they were -
Wouldn't it be better to have the monitor on the highest possible resolution, so the text isn't fuzzy, and use larger text? For web, Opera will enlarge text and images up to ten times.
Owain
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:35:29 +0100, "Owain"

That's almost exactly what I've found, with the exception that some programs handle larger font sizes better than others, but over time I've changed more or less all the bad ones in that respect. Much more comfortable.
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Or even just use an ancient Acorn which anti-aliased text about 20 years ago. One day MS will catch up. ;-)
--
*Filthy stinking rich -- well, two out of three ain't bad

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:57:53 +0100, Paul Mc Cann wrote:

Probably not now by a small margin:
http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2003/May/res.php http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2002/May/res.php http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2001/May/res.php
What is the default in windows now? It used to be 800x600 I would guess it's now 1024x768?
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

also at install time. I quite often install 98 and that defaults to 640x480 until you configure the graphics card.
--
Chris
-----