Large light bulb for very old street lamp

Hi peeps,

I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph pole in my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a decent amount of light, be efficient and reliable.

It looks a bit like this-

But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!

Any suggestions?

Ta

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

Stick with gas. A far nicer quality of light. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Must be something to suit here

Chris Hogg

That rules out all lightbulbs. Where are you willing to compromise?

All meet some of your wishes, none meet all

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

High pressure mercury vapour lamps were a common replacement in street lighting gas lanterns.

Reply to
Nightjar

I'm not sure BT will be that keen!

Reply to
Capitol

3300 lumens out of the 50W aught to be adequate!
Reply to
John Rumm

but are now obsolete, with sodium & HID both giving better lpw and better light quality.

HID would be good if you need an excess of light.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Stick any bulb you like in the lampholder and put an LED panel lamp in the lid ;)

Reply to
philipuk

Make a ginormous filament-effect LED lamp

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Beat me to it, the bulb and fitting in the OPs illustration looks total crap IMHO.

BT may well take a very dim view of you bolting something to their pole and presumably feeding it with mains?

*All* the electricity pole mounted street lights around here have been unilaterally disconnected/removed by the DNO. A few new stand alone street lights have appeared adjacent to the poles that did have street lights.

The reason for the removal was the death of a BT engineer working on BT circuits on a shared pole. Normally the power is at the top a good bit of separation then the BT stuff but the street lights are mounted at roughly the same height as BT...

Dave Liquorice

I cannot see it, but around our way when I came here in1957, the lights were like ordinary bulbs with a kind of reflector of pieces of mirror that aimed the light downwards. I always though back then that the bulbs looked rather small. So it could be its just the way it is or was.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Back in 1988, I was part of a team working on a project outside Shanghai. The whole hotel was supplied with 40W bulbs, which flashed at somewhere between a half and one Hz. One of my compatriots, John, had less than perfect eyesight, and one weekend, I found the large shop in downtown Shanghai which sold all sorts of lovely electrical goodies, many of which would have looked good in a museum here, but it did have 5.25 inch diskettes. In this place, I found a

150W bulb, it was huge, at least 8 inches long, if not more, and I carefully carried it home on the bus, and presented it to John at the communal dinner table, to his great joy. From that day on, it was easy to see which room was his, the window was lit up "Like the Trocadero".
Reply to
Davey

Make a ginormous filament-effect LED lamp

Owain

Nice, but wont light the area up much will it:-)

Reply to
Mr Sandman

Beat me to it, the bulb and fitting in the OPs illustration looks total crap IMHO.

BT may well take a very dim view of you bolting something to their pole and presumably feeding it with mains?

*All* the electricity pole mounted street lights around here have been unilaterally disconnected/removed by the DNO. A few new stand alone street lights have appeared adjacent to the poles that did have street lights.

The reason for the removal was the death of a BT engineer working on BT circuits on a shared pole. Normally the power is at the top a good bit of separation then the BT stuff but the street lights are mounted at roughly the same height as BT...

Mr Sandman

3300 lumens out of the 50W aught to be adequate!
Reply to
Mr Sandman

Yebbut - its *LED*

Reply to
Geo

Much as I like Johns suggestion I would suggest you look at LED replacements for discharge lamps. Instant switch on, lower running costs and no need to buy any control gear (ballasts etc)

Reply to
ARW

I'm not sure a large bulb will look right. AFAIR small gas street lamps had a single mantle. The larger lamps did not use a larger mantle, but multiple small ones. A modern (German) example can be seen here:

But I doubt that it would be a simple matter to convert your lamp to multiple bulbs.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Did you mean things like:

Or have you found a less ugly looking solution?

Reply to
John Rumm