Large floor mounting radiators

As the subject. This is for a large area without walls that are sufficiently firm to mount conventional radiators.

Given the amount of heating required, I will need several large large radiators that I can mount on the floor.

Cost is a important consideration and have already had an eye watering experience of looking at prices of designer floor standing column radiators.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Personally, I would be fabricating "feet" for conventional panel radiators. Solid or suspended floor?

Reply to
newshound

This will be on commercial grade chipboard with access below if need be.

I was wondering about this approach, but surprised there aren't any affordable solutions.

I have found Stelrad/Myson do a couple of types, but they either look flimsy or cost as much as the radiators!

Reply to
Fredxxx

Most of the older floor mounted rad were also fixed to a wall - to prevent them being pulled over. They weren't exactly stable devices.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was going to mention that but I assume there is some strength in the wall. That was also why I was asking about the floor. With a solid floor it might be possible to drill to a reasonable depth and cast in something like, say, scaffold pole, a single one in the middle to tie back to if the rad was on feet at each end, or perhaps two poles, one at each end, supporting the weight as well via some sort of bracket.

Even two bits of dexion mounted "behind" the rad, each supporting one conventional wall hanger might work.

With a suspended floor, one could hide a sort of inverted shelf bracket under the chipboard / floorboards to provide the moment against pulling over. Again, this could be fabricated from dexion (or speedframe).

Reply to
newshound

Seems the perfect case for DIY. If double panel, fit metal support between panels and bolt to cross member at floor level.

Reply to
Capitol

I am angling towards using bolt down post supports, using 2x2 or 3x3 planed timber and painting gloss white. Generally they will be out of view.

I can use bolts that go through industrial thickness chipboard with large washers underneath.

The screw the accompanying brackets that come with the radiator onto the wooden post.

It sounds a firm solution, any gotchas, what do people here think??

Reply to
Fredxxx

Why not fit (some) ceiling mounted fan heat exchangers. This sort of thing. There are many shapes and designs

harryagain

They always produce draughts.

Reply to
Capitol

I had considered them, but felt that noise would be an issue.

I also felt heat needed to be more uniformly distributed than is feasible with a blown heater with cold spots in corners.

They're not as cheap as panel radiators pr kw!

Reply to
Fredxxx

The non-industrial ones are OK noisewise.

Reply to
harryagain