Large CFL

My workshop is actually a bedroom and I'd like to keep it so it could be converted back with little effort. So still has a single pendant lamp in the middle of the ceiling - rarely used for long as I have decent lighting over the work benches.

At the moment it has a 150 watt ordinary tungsten bulb which has blown. Is there a CFL that approaches this sort of level? I do occasionally need reasonable light on the floor for doing some things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bayonet fitting high output ones here (rather expensive)

if you can find a bayonet to 4-pin converter:

sm_jamieson

ect.co.uk/cat184_1.htm

Oh I just thought - do the pin-types include a ballast ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Yuo could look at the 28w & 38w square tubes, 2D I think theyre called. Argos IIRC do some that have a BC plug on, makes removing them later trivially easy. Or you could use an old pre-1970 BC plug to 2x BC socket adaptor to put 2 basic CFLs in. Tesco do 23w CFLs for 10p each.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Adrian C

electronics when run cap up?

Reply to
Mike Clarke

You could replace with like-for-like

Andy Burns

Yes, because a central 150W isn't that much to start with. Certainly not what I'd want in my workshop. A friend has just this over his workbench - drives me mad.

30W spiral tubes from Megaman will give you comparable light levels and ghastly cold whites that might be acceptable here. However these big CFLs run hot, and their lifetime is definitely shortened when hung pendant style.

I'd hang striplights and get a more diffuse source. For a workbench, it's worth it. You can always do it neatly and filler the holes later. You could even hang them from chains from a single rose (if it's strong enough)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Some do, I've found Osram good used like this.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

For a cheap experiment, Morrisons stock Status 30W CFL for about £3 - 4. The PF is close to unity, so there's less heat around than from a 20W CFL at about0.5 PF.

Reply to
PeterC

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

Mike Tomlinson

I already have decent lighting over all the workbenches. This is just general illumination. Unless I have to spread something out on the floor. Where the 150 watt bulb was fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, because a central 150W isn't that much to start with. Certainly not what I'd want in my workshop. A friend has just this over his workbench - drives me mad.

30W spiral tubes from Megaman will give you comparable light levels and ghastly cold whites that might be acceptable here. However these big CFLs run hot, and their lifetime is definitely shortened when hung pendant style.

I'd hang striplights and get a more diffuse source. For a workbench, it's worth it. You can always do it neatly and filler the holes later. You could even hang them from chains from a single rose (if it's strong enough)

Me too, I'd just find a way of hanging a 20w strip light up there. I find the narrow, link light types very bright and handy.

Spamlet

Dong! Fundamental misunderstanding of power factor there. 20 watts at

0.5 PF is 40 VA, but still only 20 watts from the lamp. The tiny bit of extra loss in the wiring will be utterly negligible.

The Philips 'Tornado' CFL range (helical type) 23 W version might suit Dave's application. Claimed tungsten equivalent on the box is 130 W and for once this might be about right (IME, YMMV).

Reply to
Andy Wade

OK, I didn't bother to larn that bit, but a Philips 18W CFL gets hotter than the Status 30W does around the gubbins end.

Reply to
PeterC

That's a good site Andy. Duly bookmarked ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

N watts is N watts and will eventually end up as heat somewhere, whatever appliance or device is using it. An N watt device with a low power factor simply draws more (RMS) current than an N watt one with a higher PF.

The extra current needed to deliver the same power to the low PF device results in additional heating in the electrical supply system, but not in the device itself. Large consumers are encouraged by the supply industry to maximise their PF, but for small loads, like one or two CFLs, PF matters not a jot.

The 18 W one might have less efficient gubbins than the 30 W one and dissipate more power in that area, or it might just be that the 30 W one, being bigger, presumably, is better at convecting its heat away to the air. (Overall it's an example of the difference between heat and temperature.)

Reply to
Andy Wade

Surely, that's not quite true. Unless you count visible light as heat ? The whole object of CFLs, dreadful as they may be in general, is that they convert the electricity they consume, more efficiently into light, than do incandescents. As do various other forms of lighting. At least, that's how I always understood it. Perhaps I'm wrong on that ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

My pipe dream is building a heater constructed soley out of microprocessors.

I sometimes wonder if CPUs are a pure efficient generator of heat or whether the some of the input power gets spent directly in the production of megaflops, in a similar way that you can proportion the distribution of energy into a device into amounts of light, heat and sound.

... then me thinks a bit ...

Ah, electromagnetic spectrum. It'll be the emission of radio waves ...

Reply to
Adrian C

Nope, it's pretty much on the button. The thermodynamics we learn in school tells us all energy ends up as heat (simplistic description): whether it starts out as light, radio waves, whatever.

The reason why CFLs are "better" is that they produce nearly the same amount of light, but consume less energy doing so. They still produce a fair amount of heat in the process, but less than tungsten bulbs do. However, in the winter, when you have your heating on, the additional heat that your room would have got from the "old fashioned" light bulbs has to be provided by the heating system.

Reply to
pete