Laptop/Tablet?

Do you own an iPad and a laptop? If not, your contribution to this thread is worth the square root of f*ck all.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I see that you are talking out of your bum.

IBM have nothing to do with them, they are made by a Chinese company.

I also see that you're a brainwashed charcoal grey suit nerd. That would explain why you are doing the Ra-Ra song for what was always a much loathed piece of crap given to people who had no choice other than to take what their employers handed out.

The Lenovo (no IBM about it) is badly designed, ugly, heavy and mostly shonky. I had to lug one around for three years and I couldn't wait to get rid of it, it was horrid. The screen is fuzzy, the keyboard unpleasant, the red rubber nipple a stupid idea that the designers should have killed off years ago. A MacBook Air is much, much better if one must have a keyboard.

Hmm, what would I want? To spend the thick end of a grand on a refurbished X-series weighing 1.6kg with an i5 processor and spinning HDD that I will have to pay another £300 to upgrade to SSD, and I'll have to live with its 1366x768 graphics since that's as good as it gets.

Or do I spend £100 less (or £400 less if going for refurbished) and get a MacBook air with SSD, 1440x900 graphics, the same i5 and weighing

1.3kg for the 13" or 1kg for the 11" with the same resolution as the X series.

Or then again I could pay a little more than half the price of the X-series and get an iPad with 2048x1536, weighing 600 grammes and including 3g connectivity, GPS a compass and HD camera.

Gosh, choices, choices and the Lenovo is the shitcan of the heap.

Nurse! More Rinso for this one, there's still a tiny bit of brain showing - he bought an iPad.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Mm, good point - I do my fair share of that too (Teamviewer), with my mum and her existing laptop...

Reply to
Lobster

Well I suppose that puts your opinion firmly in the apple are best camp.

Do you own every laptop? If not your contribution is worth about the same by your own standards.

Reply to
dennis

The problem with a laptop or PC is that you *will* need to provide support.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

How sad, another pathetic Mr Angry who is prepared to be needlessly abusive because of the relative anonymity of the virtual world; congratulations on being added to my killfile. Whilst you're confined to that small windowless room you might want to work on improving your comprehension, and also on correcting your "facts".

To the OP: as I said earlier, a good-quality lightweight re-furb laptop (look at the reviews of the X-series) is much more capable than a tablet and with an SSD gives instant-on. I've done this and the cost was about the same as the iPad. Only you know whether you need the capabilities of a laptop/desktop or whether a tablet would be adequate. FYI I find that I only really use the desktop for music editing (primarily because of the sound card), the laptop for everyday stuff and when travelling to meetings (an older tablet laptop doesn't get used at all), and the iPad when slobbed in the lounge and just wanting to do some browsing. My wife uses her laptop and the iPad in the same way as I do. HTH

Reply to
Nospam

Nospam wrote: [snip]

That's actually ver funny, given that you are a wannabee anonymous coward and that I have a twenty year history of posting my opinion in my own name.

As to your claims of "abusive" believe me, I've not been abusive or angry yet. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Given that you're from Hursley I don't expect you even to manage that without assistance.

If you like I could drive over and have a word with you in person. It would be nice to see which of us is the blustering coward.

Reply to
Steve Firth

So by that logic the Macbook air should have Foxconn on the case?

At least Lenovo *is* the "Chinese company". It should hardly be news that there are only a handful of laptop OEMs out there, and most "makers" but from them the same way Apple does.

I would not agree entirely... ugly, yes possibly. However from a design point of view, they are probably the easiest to open up and service. Lots of users also particularly like the keyboards.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, the keyboards, and the trackpoint is usable whereas I can never get on skating around those touch sensitive pads.

Reply to
djc

No, that's an unusual twist of logic. Apple have not sold their laptop business to Foxconn. IBM sold out lock, stock and barrel to Lenovo not just laptops but also their printer division. It's about as daft to call a Lenovo product "IBM" as it would be to call HP "EDS".

I think you have completely missed IBMs sellout.

Ah yes clearly the true purpose of a laptop is to open it up each day and rearrange the internals. Personally I'd rather have a reliable laptop that does not need opening up.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That rubber nipple is the single most stupid device ever placed on a laptop.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Even iPads need support when the user is not very familiar with their ways.

Reply to
polygonum

The real money is in consultancy, and that's where IBM are at these days.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Where they are rather shit at it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Because amazon are knobheads.

He can however buy a book for kindle on his iPad. Just not from the kindle app.

Reply to
Steve Firth

They were only reacting to unrealistic demands made by Apple (i.e. 30% of the sale price!)

You could at one time buy stuff direct from Amazon using the iStuff Kindle app. Now you have to do it in two stages with a separate web purchase.

Indeed, and he understood it once shown - but did not see it as an improvement on how it used to work.

Reply to
John Rumm

Specifically to the ex-IBM plant at Lexington, Kentucky.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Yep, only just managed to pass the 100 billion per annum mark!

Reply to
Bob Martin

are looking

"tier1" and replace the

twice the wieght and half the display resolution a bargin ;-) what's the battery life like half too I'd estimate, it;'s also useful to have two cameras rather than one, but of limited use I guess.

I use both my ipad and imac everyday and a PC at work every weekday.

Reply to
whisky-dave

There's little money in seling commodity hardware.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q