Laptop/Tablet?

I have a small laptop I use for tuning in my car and others which are fitted with aftermarket injection. I've never got on with these pads - but a mouse isn't much use in a car. What would be the best alternative that you could perhaps hold in one hand and operate with the other - or better still hold and operate with one hand? Preferably from someone who has actually used it in this situation. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is she actually going to move it around? Some just want a laptop because it is more fashionable - but they're a poor substitute for a desktop if all it's going to do is stay on a desk. Perhaps my having a decent 24" monitor here clouds my judgement. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks all for the learned replies.

I did manage to find several sites that compared laptops & tablets & SWMBO has read through them now.

Real problem was lack of info on tablets.

Since she doesn't surf the net that much, but does use Word, Excel quite a lot, she has decided on a laptop.

She likes this one

buy from Comet because a lad working there fancies my youngest daughter like mad & gives us really good deals).

Thanks for all the help.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not a direct answer to your question, but if SWMBO doesn't mind 'learning' a new operating system then your tablet options are quite open.

However, I tried an Android tablet and found the the workarounds I needed to be able to replicate what I was doing on my laptop and desktop just took up too much time and were too much effort. Simply transferring images from the tablet to the desktop was a faff. So I bought an Acer Iconia Tab W500 running Windows 7.

Windows 7 is far from being the best OS for a tablet but there's no need to learn a new OS, Windows 8 (hopefully an improvement!) is due soon, the tablet does pretty much all that I can do on the laptop and desktop, and the whole experience has been better than that of the Android.

if that is waht she does, that is the best answer.

Try the keyboards out. A good keyboard makes all te difference.

You are mad. Buy online.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Also, following a couple of bad experiences when I've had to sort a mate's Packard Bell computer problems out, I'd recommend against them.

If you can, based on personal experience, I'd go for a Toshiba, Compaq or Samsung. An Acer I had was good until someone stole it...

Reply to
John Williamson

+1

Excel benefits from a big screen. Have a look at this.

Samsung 305E7A Laptop, AMD Quad Core, 1.5GHz, 6GB RAM, 750GB with 17.3" Display, Silver - £479.95

's also NOT got a shiny screen.

Bought one last week for a friend. It's fine :)

Reply to
Adrian C

Have bought two lappies in recent past and ended up with Samsung both times.

Outstandingly fast boot times (less than 19 seconds from switch-on to usable Windows 7 on the faster one; not very far behind on the cheap one).

And, surprisingly, in both cases I could not do better than John Lewis for price.

Reply to
polygonum

SWMBO wants to downsize her PC to either a Laptop or a Tablet.

Not a bike?

Reply to
Cyclist

Avoid packard bell like the proverbial....

Reply to
John Rumm

Buy a "re-con" Thinkpad laptop from someone like "tier1" and replace the HDD with an SSD - you'll then have FAR more performance than any tablet with virtually the same "instant on" for less money.

Reply to
Nospam

-september.org...

Did they, when was that .....

Does thsat make it easier I have an ipad3 and it isn;t the easist thing to = take photos with or hold but I'm not sure if it were thicker it would be ea= sier to hold. Although I must admit if the iPhone was as big as an 80s mobi= le it might be easier to hold and it would slip down the side of the sofa.= =20 =20

I loked into photoframes and the resolution was rubbish on all of them, eve= n the =A390 one, but maybe the term working better means something else.

Does yuor windows machine have a front and back facing camera ... one of the uses I've founbd of an ipad is I canb walk about having a video = chat and switching camera, using my thumb. =20

proably but can it do it as well, in most cases I'll guess NO. =20 I've a friend that brought a android tablet 'great value' 1/3d the price o= f an ipad trouble is it has the tech spec but just inst good to use in fact= it sits in a draw being unused because it's so frustarting to use, a simnp= le thing like scroilling through TV station just doesn't unless you have at= least 5 attempts at it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Much as people love to knock Apple products, 99% of the time, the iPad "just works", and damn well too.

Sure, it isn't perfect. The wi-fi has the occasional gremlin and of course it won't play flash content but ours get used heavily all the time. We have three in our household and my mother (age 86), inspired by David Hockney's drawings on an iPad, plans to get on too.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

And unlike a tablet it will be a brick.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I assume you haven't any experience of the IBM/Lenovo X series - they're certainly more substantial than an iPad but they only weigh around 1.4kg (compared to about 0.7kg for an iPad) and that isn't too bad when taking into account the hugely increased capabilities and the freedom to install what you want. I have a desktop, a couple of laptops and an iPad ... but it's the x-series laptop with an SSD that gets used every day.

Reply to
Nospam

One of the handheld trackball mice with USB will do what you need. You hold it in your hand and use your thumb on the tracker ball.

One of many examples:

John Rumm

+1! (except mine's aged a mere 80 though).

I was very impressed the astounding quality of 'painting' that she (a trained water-colour artist) was able to produce on the iPad within an hour of picking one up for the first time - which in itself is testament to its good design.

David

Reply to
Lobster

On the other hand, my mother at 90 recently bought herself a laptop.

The killer about an iPad for her is the lack of any viable way of providing remote support. At least on a PC I can usually get in with LogMeIn and keep her going.

Reply to
polygonum

just the ticket, and at that sort of price worth the gamble.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You looked at the wrong ones then. Mine is 800 x 480 on a 7" display and you need to get very close to see the dots, much closer than most people would view photos.

My laptop has had several cameras on it working at the same time. the built in one doing video conferencing, the other two doing guiding and taking star photos. try that with an ipad.

You aren't good at guessing. Its an S2 and is way better than an iphone at virtually everything.

Of course its now out dated as the S3 is about.

You have a TV tuner in an ipad?

Reply to
dennis