Laptop funny

I've got a weird problem on my laptop. Which likely isn't anything to do with it.

I read a number of forums, and one of them, the Rover SD1 Club, has changed to much smaller font size than the others, making it near impossible to read. This only happened a few days ago - but it's normal on my desktop. As is everything else on the laptop. There are no options I can find on the site - but wouldn't any changes there be the same on any computer I used after logging on?

I'm using FireFox - but can't seem to find any options on that which could be applied to an individual site only.

This came about after I've been using my left hand on the mouse due to shoulder pain - and it's quite likely I've hit the wrong button or whatever. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I use Firefox and have the same problem with a few forums / sites. The solution was to set a minimum font size in the Firefox options. This works reasonably well with those pesky sites that expect you to have eagle eyesight.

Reply to
David in Normandy

Visit the Rover forum again, and try pressing ctrl-zero, failing that ctrl-plus

Reply to
Andy Burns

Also ctrl + mouse wheel will ramp the font up and down.

Reply to
John Rumm

ctrl+hammer is quite effective, too. ;)

Dave, have you done a cache & cookies clear? Maybe something went goofy with the site when you happened to be using the laptop and the admin quickly fixed it, but whatever it was happens to be cached locally on the laptop at the moment?

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Brilliant, Andy, thanks. ;-) What is that actually doing as it's sorted it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But only on that site? That's likely what I did - poor coordination when using my left hand on the mouse.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I having a coffee with admin yesterday ;-) and nothing had been altered on the site. Nor did he have any guesses on how to fix it. But he's a volunteer. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, I discovered that by accident about two hours ago!

Reply to
Bob Eager

It does seem to remember it for the site (or possibly the page)...

Yup easy to do... I find using large screens means that I frequently need to adjust the zoom on the fly for different pages, and that is the way I most commonly do it.

Reply to
John Rumm

How very odd. Others seem to have problems ...

Subject: Re: screen has g> I am told the experts live here. My screen has gone haywire. the icons

  1. Right-click on your desktop background.
  2. Click 'Personalize' in the menu.
  3. When the Personalize screen appears click 'Display' - left-hand side close to the bottom.
  4. If the present setting is 'Medium' or 'Larger' then try the smaller ones. Sometimes the Windows Registry just loses the setting.

  1. If that works, send large (three-figure) donation to me. :)

  2. If that doesn't work try and find the display software for your graphics/video card and/or your monitor and see if they have settings which solve the problem
Reply to
Mr Pounder

Yehbut that would have effected everything on screen. It alters the icons as well as the text.

This was unique to the one site.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or use Opera. There is a page size slider on the bottom right hand side.

If you are on Linux a repair at bootup or an update might kick it into spec.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

use IIRC CTRL + to increase screen detail size - its not site specific but firefox tends to reset it when you navigate away

It MAY be that they are expecting and specifying a font you havent got.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's just the keyboard shortcut for View, Zoom, Reset and zoom-in functions.

Reply to
Part Timer

Ctrl and mouse wheel and firefox remembers it for each site/page.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon