Laptop Batteries where to buy?...

As above we need a replacement battery for our ACER 5630 laptop. Anyone can recommend a supplier of either original equipment (Panasonic Battery Li-ion pack) or decent replacement copy ones?..

Cheers..

Reply to
tony sayer

are local to me so I went to the place when I needed a battery for my Acer Aspire 5630. Good battery, decent price, so yeah, I'd recommend them.

John

Reply to
John

I got one for an old Toshiba laptop off Ebay. A lot cheaper than a Toshiba one and is OK.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And the company was ? :-)

Gio

Reply to
Gio

smart_parts_uk Boris Stavenko London SW6 1QA

So there. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , at 14:43:19 on Sun, 16 May

2010, Gio remarked:

I was happy with a laptop battery from

Roland Perry

good service, have use them a few times.

Reply to
djc

Well better than me, I forgot to enter where we bought ours from ! We also bought a camcorder battery and charger at the same time.

Gio

Idon't know where to buy, but it occurs to me that this is the sort of thing that eBay should have, and it would be a safe thing to buy from there.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I bought one from them. It waa faulty. In a strange reversal of most posts of this nature, I complained, they apologised & sent me a perfectly good one so I'd recommend them.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In message , at 16:16:09 on Sun, 16 May 2010, Jeff Strickland remarked:

You still have to be careful - many are apparently shipped from China, and while maybe not outright counterfeights can use low-quality cells. I've also had batteries without the right "chip" in them, and therefore unrecognised by the laptop.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Yes, there are lots of suppliers of laptop bateries on eBay. Some are even in the UK! I'd love to believe that all their wares were new, full spec. manufacturer's quality product and actually had the mA*Hr capacity they claim. And that they would last for as many recharge cycles as the "proper" ones at twice the price.

But, having bought compatible batteries for cameras and phones from these sorts (not the specific ones mentioned here) of suppliers, which went flat in a fraction (a small fraction) of the time that the one which came with the device lasted, AND held less and less charge, for less and less time in the ensuing months. I can't help but think there are too many crooks, fakes and bogus claims out there.

Reply to
pete

It's worth checking the capacities of both the manufacturer's own part and the third party replacement. I was looking at one for my laptop:

4400mAH as quoted. When I checked the original part, that was 5800mAH. No sale...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Green

That's why it's worth buying off Ebay and paying by PayPal. You'll get an easy refund if you have problems. But not some months down the line.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you bought off Ebay and paid by PayPal you'd easily get your money back. Assuming such easy to determine faults from the off. Ebay is heavily biased in favour of the buyer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Surely that depends on the price? Two 4400mAH batteries for the cost of one 5800mAH for example could be worth having if everything else is equal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed it is - we were stiffed by a customer for several hundred: claiming non delivery of goods despite a cast iron paper trail and postal proof of delivery. And email discussions about the goods he claimed were never received..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And the capacity of a battery depends critically on how fast you drain it, and what endpoint voltage you let it go to.

And cells are probably +-10% anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, I don't want to carry around two spare batteries rather than one, I don't want my laptop to run out of juice early, and the fact that the "replacement" part has a markedly lower capacity speaks volumes of the quality of the cells it contains. I value my laptop enough that I don't want to fire an extinguisher at it!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Green

If you're buying cheap ones then that's less likely with the lower capacity ones.

Reply to
Duncan Wood