Laptop AC adaptor

Does a laptop mains adaptor have a thermal cutout inside it?

It's a Toshiba PA3201U for a Satellite 2410 if it matters. Last night I noticed the laptop was showing that it was running on the battery while it was plugged in to the mains. I tested it and found 240v going in to the adaptor but nothing coming out. A bit later, when the adaptor was cold, I plugged it back into the laptop and it was working again.

Now it's done the same - been running off the adaptor all morning but now running on the battery and no output from the adaptor.

I reckon it's on its way out so I've ordered a new one anyway but I'd be interested to know why it's doing it.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

It's a definite possibility that there is an auto-reset thermal fuse but I don't specifically know if Toshiba adapters have them installed. It could also be an intermittent bad connection.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

in article snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net, Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 28/9/06 14:21:

Almost certainly, as there have been problems with combusting adapters requiring recalls, etc. in the past.

In my experience, laptop power supplies only get really, really hot when charging a low battery. If yours is getting very hot without the battery needing charging, then I would be worried.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Micklem

Thermal cutout in the wall wart.

Get a replacement (under warranty) if you can.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This is true.

It did get very warm but not exactly hot and the little brick says "Be careful! May become hot" on it. It's stopped again now and the adaptor is stone cold but it hasn't come back to life yet. Bloody thing.

RIP adaptor.

It's well out of warranty but I've got a new one coming hopefully tomorrow so all is not lost.

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Give that man a medal!

I did a proper test on the adaptor and I've found that the plug which goes into the laptop must have a break in one of the conductors in the flexible part of the plug.

Snippage, solderage and insultage (with insulting tape, of course) will be done later.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

------------------------------8><

You should fondle the psu for my Vaio - it's always hot. Not unique to a single unit as I have two, and both run hot (i.e. too hot for prolonged hand contact).

Reply to
nog

But likely to be some sort of fuse, rather than an auto resetting device?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite likely to shut down in case of overheat. Such features are necessary when the adaptor might be unable to cool itself enough, eg sitting on carpet etc. Time will tell, but the new one may prove to be no different.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I would imagine that it would have a thermal cutout for saftey in its design as its an enclosed PSU.

Reply to
Staffbull

I know of a number of Tosh adapters that have died with intermittent DC-side wires. Including mine the broke the inner core right at the end of the strain relief. Cut the whole thing open, repaired and glued back together.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

My PA3380U overheats when left on the sofa (or on the bed duvet) and cuts out when very, very hot.

Reply to
Simon T

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot =E5=86=99=E9=81=93=EF=BC=9A

The input volts of the adapter is AC 100V-240V

Reply to
singa