Landlord/Home Owner Gas Safety Record

We are moving into a rented flat and have asked the letting agent for the Landlord/Home Owner Gas Safety Record.

There are two appliances recorded:

- Hobb [sic]

- Boiler

In the section "Appliance safe top use Yes/No" the hob has a "Yes" but there is nothing for the boiler.

So a couple of questions:

  1. Does this mean the boiler is or isn't safe?
  2. Is a Landlord/Home Owner Gas Safety Record only issued if all appliances are safe?

Just to clarify, further down under the section "Details of any Faults" is says "Gas leak on Supply to Boiler" followed by "Come back repair leaking joint" [sic].

Any advice would be gladly welcomed SWIMBO is worrying about this.

Thanks

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

This should answer your questions:

Danton

Reply to
Nige Danton

I am a landlord and my GSC always state that the appliance has passed and is safe to use. Ask the letting agent to ask the landlord for an up to date (properly filled in) certificate or written proof that the leak has been fixed or you might look elsewhere for a property. A certificate is issued to show a check has been done and not only if all appliances are safe. On the cert is there any recorded drop on the gas tightness test as this will indicate how bad the leak is. What date is on the cert?

John

Reply to
John

Nige,

Thanks for that, I did visit that page before coming here. However I couldn't find anything specifically relating to the my questions.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

John,

Thanks for your post.

led in) certificate When present with the GSC I raised this and they just said "this is the certificate" I the existence of the GSC enough? I.e. if the checks fail will no GSC be produced by the plumber.

Are you saying that it has definitely been filled in incorrectly?

No

May this year

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

in) certificate

Assuming the inspector found a leak, then he's recorded his findings

*correctly*, hasn't he?

If the agent seriously thinks that the LL's obligations are fulfilled just because the certificate has been issued, then he's seriously mistaken. It's a bit like a car owner driving a dangerous car and showing an MOT failure certificate to the police, saying "It's OK, it's had an MOT test..."

Clearly some remedial gas work should have been carried out as a matter of urgency once the leak had been highlighted, and a new certificate then issued, pronouncing the property safe.

It's possible that the work was carried out but no new certificate issued - it needs to be.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I'm not an expert but this from :-

* a description of and the location of each appliance or flue checked

  • the name, registration number and signature of the individual carrying out the check
  • the date on which the appliance or flue was checked
  • the address of the property at which the appliance or flue is installed
  • the name and address of the landlord (or his agent where appropriate)
  • any defect identified and any remedial action taken
  • a statement confirming that the safety check completed complies with the requirements of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998

Personally I would insist on a signed certificate that says both items are fit for use. It would help too if any defect and remedial work was described in plain English. I be with SWMBO. ;-)

Reply to
Andy Cap

Nige,

Thanks for that, I did visit that page before coming here. However I couldn't find anything specifically relating to the my questions.

answer your question

tim

Reply to
tim.....

filled in) certificate

Looking at the certificate, it seems the "Remedial Action Taken" section has actiually been filling incorrectly. There's an example certificate at:

Clearly some remedial gas work should have been carried out as a matter

So just to double check, are you saying a GSC can be issued even if a gas appliance is unsafe?

Thanks

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Yes. It must record that the appliance (or pipework, flue or whatever) is unsafe with a record of what warning notices and certificates were issued e.g "Immediately Dangerous" (ID) or "At Risk" (AR) and what action was taken to make the situation safe e.g appliance disconnected/capped off or switched off.

Landlords Gas Certificate forms produced by different publishers vary in their exact content and layout but all should record basic safe/not-safe and (if not safe) reason and action information.

Reply to
YAPH

Hi Charlie, as you can see on the example you linked it is a Gas Safety RECORD and not a CERTIFICATE (all mine are records also). As Lobster stated it is like showing a Police Officer an MOT failure sheet and saying your car has had a test (but not passed). I would INSIST on an up to date fully completed record and the letting agent should NOT accept anything less from the landlord, and neither should the landlord, if there ever was a problem with that boiler and and your LL was asked to produce it in a court etc. I wouldn't think his chances of convincing the law were good.

I have never (touch wood) had any failures so have never had cause to have a re-issued record but if I had I would have obtained a new record as how could I expect my tenant(s) to be happy with a (vital) box on the form not filled in.

Point your letting agent to

and in particucular the section titled "What responsibilities does the landlord have?" and the lines "If the gas engineer notices any problems the landlord has to fix them. If a landlord fails to do this or fails to provide a gas safety certificate it is a criminal offence. The Health and Safety Executive can prosecute."

Ask your letting agent if they will accept a bond/rent cheque that isn't correctly filled in!!

HTH

John

Reply to
John

John,

Thanks for your post, just checked out your website, you seem like the right guy to ask (especially for people living nr Reading).

It doesn't say whether the boiler it is safe or unsafe. the box "Appliance safe to use Yes/No" is empty (this is last column on the form

)

Neither ID or AR is written on the form.

Reply to
Charlie

Aren't the details of the plumber who did the test on the record? If so why not give him a call and ask what happened.

Reply to
martin_pentreath

I think you'll find the law is the same nationwide.

Really not sure what more info you need or are looking for, beyond what you've already been consistently advised by a number of people...

Reply to
Lobster

As a landlord, I'd always be sure that the relevant tests were done and everything is safe, and the the documentation was clear and unambiguous.

From what you posted, and other comments in the rest of this thread I'd be very nervous as a tenant.

It's a bit cheeky, but if you've moved in or have recently visited the property and smelled gas, call the gas emergency number. Soon enough someone will be along to stick a "DO NOT USE" notice on the faulty items(s) and (potentially) cut off the supply. Or they may say everything is OK.

Don't f*ck with gas. It won't just blow you up, but your neighbours too.

Al.

Reply to
Al

Thanks for all your advice everyone, I'll chase this up and post back with the outcome.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie