Lamp oil/baby oil

I have an old paraffin lamp I'd like to get working. I can't find lamp oil for love or money. As I understand it, lamp oil is paraffin with perfume. "Paraffin", on the other hand contains nasty smelly stuff for some reason.

Given that the back of a bottle of baby oil says "Parifinum Liquidum, Parfum", is there any reason I should be tipping some of Johnsons' best (or more likely Asda) into the thing?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Your best bet for getting lamp oil is to look in a shop that sells lamps, candles, gifts, bric-a-brac, etc. Good independent hardware shops might also help.

On the other hand I quite like the smell of paraffin when it's burning in a lamp or heater.

I wouldn't like to say! Liquid paraffin used to be a remedy for constipation. You could try vegitable oil.

Reply to
Richard Porter

If the lamp is working correctly, has the correct chimney glass, is clean, etc. then you wan't get any significant smell from it burning 'ordinary' paraffin.

Reply to
usenet

Really? I assumed the whole lot would come off smelling of Bitrex.

The lamp is spotlessly clean, complete with glass. I intend to use it on the conservatory dining table when eating, so odour is very important.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Our local independant hardware store sells general purpose paraffin in 5L containers labled suitable for lamps.The smell is no problem to us at all, it whiffs a very little but that just tends to evoke memories of lovely cozy evenings over the years.

I think there are grades of paraffin and you just need a high grade. I have seen 1L bottles labled "lamp oil" in other stores at a price about the same as the 5L "general purpose" containers.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

You could burn paraffin when you're using it, then put it outdoors / in the shed when you're not. You can't smell paraffin when it's burning (if you can, you _need_ better ventilation). When it's out though, you will smell it - it's just a wick vapouriser.

Remember the old paraffin heaters ? Years ago the way that town gas was scented (sic) was by running it through a small sealed chamber containing a few of these, filled with mercaptans (skunk juice). They work effectively, if slowly, at vapourising smelly oils.

You won't find it for love. The sort of shop that usually sells it is called "Ye Knicke-Knacke Shoppe" and already contains more pink fluffy hearts than a Care Bear factory. Twee and "lovely" they already have in plenty. Try any modern shopping mall, and look for the hanging crystals.

Try it, you won't hurt it. But IMHE, it's a bit heavier than you want and will tend to burn sooty in a smaller lamp. Works OK in a pressurised Tilley though (as does diesel).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Tesco sell it.

Reply to
Kay

Lamp oil or baby oil?

Presuming the former, would that be by the firelighters etc.? I've got a Tesco Extra not a million miles away.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

As with other petroleum distillates there are different grades of paraffin, varying in weight and purity. We used to use a perfume additive called Para-Petal in heaters and lamps, but it doesn't seem to be available any more. You may find lamp oil in garden shops, especially Citronella oil which is used in patio torches to discourage flying insects. Alternatively you might want to try adding essential oils or other perfumes to basic paraffin. If you're near an airfield that services jets or helicopters you could try getting hold of some aviation fuel, which is basically high grade paraffin (not the stuff for piston-engined aircraft, which is petrol).

I suspect that it will be too heavy.

Reply to
Rob Morley

OK. Unfortunately, I don't have ready access to Jet A1. Maybe I'll try some normal paraffin, unless my trip to Tesco comes up trumps.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I have this picture of the OP going into Tesco, buying up large quantities of baby oil and getting some very funny looks...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Is this any use?

Andy

Garden centres and camping shops usually sell lamp oil / torch oil, but it can be quite seasonal stock.

Jayne

Reply to
Jayne

In article , Bob Eager writes

... Especially if he also asked if it had been pressed from real babies.

Reply to
Paul C. Dickie

They even have spare wick material. I was dreading finding that.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Try a candle shop. There's one in Cheltenham that used to sell oil as well as candles.

Reply to
Malc

However, if you give up on the love and the money and just do a Google search for "lamp oil", yo get 66,000 hits, the first few of which (at least) reference places you can buy it from.

Occasionally Grandma forgets how to suck eggs! :o)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I know. I wanted to find it cheaper at a local shop. However, the availability of spare wick material at one site pushed me into paying over the odds for what is basically just a cheap petroleum fraction that should be available for pence.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Ah. Well "wanted to get it cheaper" and "can't get it for love or money" would seem to be mutually exclusive!

Paraffin should be OK, it doesn't smell *too* much in, say, a hurricane lamp (a bit, but not as much as in a stove). The lamp oils are for dinky little glass oil lamps etc., for the table and so are coloured (sometimes), perfumed (sometimes) and expensive (though , I suspect, cheaper on the web).

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Well, hey, I can be allowed some occasional exageration, can't I?

The problem was that it will be used whilst dining, so stinky is out.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle