Lamp holder for marine environment

Is there an E27 lamp holder that works better in a marine environment?

It is for the terrace in a house near the sea.

The current lamp holders and bulbs get rusty fast.

Are there any E27 lamps with stainless steel screw cap?

Reply to
asalcedo

Much less likely with a B22d lampholder.

Look for an IP65 light fitting, or IP54 if you go with a more modern lampholder such as 2D or other compact fluorescent with separate ballast.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Given the decorative lamp shades used, I have to replace like for like, which have E27 lamp holders

Reply to
asalcedo

I've heard people use silicon grease for this....

Reply to
Lee

Yes, it makes sense to use some kind of coating for the metal parts

Is silicon grease the best bet?

What about lithium grease or 3M Scotch™ Electrical Insulating Sealer 1602, Red (after the bulb is installed)?

Counting the bulbs in the terrace and garden, I have over 20 light fixtures to weatherproof.

I will use silicone to stop water ingress in the space between the cable and bulb holder where the cable enters at the top of the bulb holder.

Reply to
asalcedo

I'm sure other people with more knowledge will answer, but since it is stable at high temperature and electrically insulating* it does sound like it should be ok.

I think the idea is that high contact pressure will allow the conductors to bite through the silicon to make contact, I know it isn't recommended for the metal contacts in low pressure connectors like push fit car plugs...

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Hi Lee,

For your information, the supplier to my hardware store has confirmed that Silicone spray is what they recommend too for this.

I have now started applying it.

Many thanks.

Antonio

Reply to