Laminiate Flooring expansion gap

Is it necessary to fill in expansion gap with cork strip? When I did my room I didn't use it - just left gap under skirting etc. It's been down 2 years without any probs. However I am doing another room and the instructions with this lot say to use it ....... What are the advantages / disadvantages ? Thnx for any help

Reply to
andy

No.

Presentatgion purposes really, if it can be seen. You're fine witha gap under skirting - I did the same with my floating wood floor (same theory).

Reply to
Tim Watts

I think its a related selling marketing ploy.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It's either that, or under the skirting, or the dreaded scotia moulding.

Reply to
stuart noble

I'm afraid it's got to be the scotia moulding as it's in a rented property ...... I removed skirting when I did mine and renewed and stained the same as floor . Proper job ;-)

Reply to
andy

I've put laminated flooring in three rooms now using the moulding strips you glue on to the skirting boards. I presume this is known as scotia moulding? As far as I know, the cork strips are only needed if there is a visible gap between the edge of your laminate flooring and the adjacent wall. In other words, they are just for 'aesthetic' reasons.

Reply to
Bren

I think you leave the gap deliberately, and the cork edging is flexible enough to accommodate any movement in the laminate. Means your laminate edges have to be perfect though :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

What adhesive did you use Bren - is it best to pin nail ? I reakon the ' No nails ' type would be to thick .

Reply to
andy