Laminate over old quarry tiles?

I want to lay laminate flooring over an old quarry tile floor. The house was built in the 1890s, so I assume there is little in the way of damp-proofing. The floor is pretty cold and un-inviting, but quite level. It has had a cement screed laid in the past but that has been hacked away. IMO it's not level enough to laminate onto directly.

A search of uk.d-i-y has led me to believe that the following is a reasonable course of action: am I right?!

  1. detergent clean quarry tiles, abrade and vacuum.
  2. Lay a latex screed (I assume this damp-proofs?!)
2a Lay poly dpm? Or not??
  1. Lay laminate flooring underlay (I like the 10mm thick green slab type)
  2. Lay laminate floor

OK??

Si

Reply to
Si

I have used Oldroyd Xs membrane for this succesfully:

Si

Reply to
spanner151

Thanks, that looks like a very interesting and a quick solution! Shame it comes in 25m2 rolls whaen I only need 6...

Not 100% convinced it will leave the surface as level as I'd like for laminate; but then neither am I convinced my screeding skills are that hot either :)

I'm now wondering whether a standard heavy-duty DPM, followed by laminate underlay would do the job...

Simon

Reply to
Si