Laminate flooring - remove pedestal basin and toilet first?

Hi,

I'm installing laminate flooring in a hallway and loo. My question is: In the loo,is it best to remove the toilet and pedestal basin until the flooring has been laid, or is it better to leave them in situ and work around them? I can see there are various considerations involved, such as the hassle of removing/reinstalling them, the ease of replacing the flooring at a later date, the visual neatness of the finished job etc. All things considered, which option do you favour?

Thank you,

Al

Reply to
AL_z

Get the laminate underneath the toilet and pedastal if you can. A telescopic trap may be needed to cope with the pedastals new height and a flexible waste for the toilet but it looks so much better.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

wok around, allow a 6mm gap, with neat curves, and then put in a neat bead of silicon (colored to match floor)

Reply to
Rick Hughes

The 6mm gap is presumably for expansion and to allow the floor to 'float'? But won't the bead of silicone prevent any movement? In which case it's no better than laying the flooring *under* the toilet pan etc. and screwing through it into the sub-floor - which would be much neater. There will presumably still be an exansion gap round the edge of the room even if the floor can't float fully.

Reply to
Roger Mills

how big is the room? if small you won;t need much xpansion gap anyway?

When I did this years ago I installed the laminate without removing the bog, by sliding the cut sections under the edges of the pedestal , kucky for me the bog was already on a semi-flexi connector - worked out fine and much better than gaps etc around it and silicone everywhere...

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Jim K wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i31g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

In my case, the loo is only about 1.5m x 1.8m. It opens onto a hallway which is 2.6m x 1m

Thanks to all, for the input. I should that the toilet and baisin are not yet fixed in place, so it is no problem at all to lay the laminate over the entire floor first. I wonder if having the laminate going under the basin pedestal and the bog could present some problem in future, say, if I need to replace the laminate. I also wonder if the basin and bog might be a bit wobbly if sitting on the laminate, due to the underlay.

Al

Reply to
AL_z

Not if you use the right type of silicone, allows movement ... .. Low modulus (BS 5889 type A) with fungicide.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I would never lay laminate in a bathroom again, either Tile or lino, you will only have to rip it up again in a few years when the water gets to it.

Although if you do I would remove bog and basin before laying flooring.

Reply to
Camdor

Camdor wrote in news:%Bzbo.80921$GF5.30980@hurricane:

Thanks. No I wouldn't lay it in a bathroom, either. This is just a loo (no bath or shower)

Al

Reply to
AL_z

If you screw the bog and pedestal to the sub-floor, with the screws going through the laminate, nothing will wobble.

If you need to remove the laminate subsequently, simply cut round the bog and pedestal and leave the bits of laminate under them in place.

Reply to
Roger Mills

mmm "simply cut" with what?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Jim K wrote in news:44fddcf5-018f-4604-a193- snipped-for-privacy@k10g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

I was wondering the same. Angle grinder (with diamond blade, preferably) perhaps? I can't think of anything else that would work.

Al

Reply to
AL_z

Fein Multimaster or Bosch PMF180.