laminate flooring over cork tiles?

Hi,

we bought some /tile-lock/ laminate flooring from B&Q to fit in a kitchen. I just wonder what kind of underlay I should put under.

In the kitchen, currently, there are cork tiles over floor board. That makes a quite flat surface, I expect it to be a bit sound insulating. So, I wondered whether I needed to put any kind of underlay at all underneath the laminate flooring (that might help avoiding a big height difference between the kitchen and the hallway).

Does anyone have any (good or bad) experience with laying laminate flooring on top of anything other than specific underlay.

Is the main purpose of underlay just thermal/sound insulation, or has it a mechanical role WRT laminate floor motion/expansion?

Thanks, Stephane

Reply to
Stephane Chazelas

My daughter lives in a rented house, the landlord put laminate flooring down over the old carpet!

Hasn't come up yet mind you!

Dave

Reply to
David Lang