Laminate flooring on worktop

I have had to rule out buying normal worktop due to my inability to handle materials of that weight or size. I need to construct all my projects out of smaller pieces of material that can be assembled in situ. So I am making my kitchen worktop out of a double layer of normal contiboard panels.

Then I have to consider what to surface it with. I tried tiles in my last kitchen and I am *not* doing that again! Not very enjoyable in use or to clean :)

Ideally I would ask a builders merchant to cut me some laminate sheet to size, but searching the archives of this newsgroup it seems it's getting harder and harder to buy formica sheet or similar.

My next idea was to use laminate flooring. It's supposed to be hardwearing and scratch resistant, and I could use a good waterproof glue to stick it together. Any views on this? I don't think it will need expansion gaps etc as it's only going to be a tiny area compared with a whole floor.

Reply to
Inge Jones

I think it's a great idea. Can't wait to try it. I know what you mean about tiles, very unpleasant. I don't imagine granite is much different but from what you write, granite's very likely off your list too.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Some laminate flooring specifically says "not for food preparation" as it contains preservative/varnish/laquer with fungicide/preservative in.

Reply to
Ian_m

You may have to go for the real wood stuff, either the engineered stuff (thick real wood veneer) or solid wood. If you get the unfinished stuff you can then finish it with food safe finishes, oil would be my preference, especially since you can renew it.

Do you not know anyone (a friend's teenage son for eg) that you can slip a tenner to to help with lifting worktop? also have you actually tried to lift some. The chipboard based ones aren't too heavy.

Also you can often get away without lifting these things. To cut the full length for eg you set up the saw horses, lift one end, place on first saw horse, got to other end and slide it, you never lift the whole thing.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

I am thinking of using laminate or similar boarding for my kitchen(to replace tiled top with wooden edging. Saw your post and although it's 13 years later, wondered if you had any luck and what finish you used eventually!

Reply to
Janet Byner

I strong recommend you read this before you reply again to to a 13 year old post:

Most of us will have absolutely no idea what you've just read.

Reply to
Fredxx

The point is from several folks experiences, some fluids can get down the cracks, and let muck in, you don't want that on a kitchen work top, I'd imagine, too many places for nasty germs to lurk. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The top to be replaced is tiled. So I'd guess the same applies. Can't really see any difference if the laminate is well glued together.

I did just this in my bathroom. Used the same engineered oak for flooring and what I suppose you'd call a vanitory unit worktop, with inset basin. Despite getting regularly wet, it has survived very well. Still with the original finish (as has the floor) which is some sort of varnish.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News