Laminate flooring & Brick Hearth

AKA how to remove Silicone Sealant from bricks!

Have just had a laminate floor fitted, and am wishing I had done it myself (didn't due to time constraints).

The fitter has stuck the scotia to the front and sides of the brick fireplace hearth with silicone sealant.

I had the main man from the carpet shoppe round this morning and he assured me that the fitter had done the right thing, and that had he not filled in the uneven gap between the bricks and the back of the scotia it would quickly have got filled with crap and become unsightly.

I (and more particularly SWMBO) on the otherhand don't like the shinyness of the silicone, which has also been smeared up the brick.

The fitter reconned there was no chance of getting it off at this stage.

So, onto the questions....

Is it possible to get (clear) silicone seal off bricks, and if so what it the best method.

If not, I am tempted to remove the scotia and replace it (just around the hearth) with something else which is taller. Some real wood would be one option, does anyone have any others?

The bricks are quite dark, the flooring is oak coloured.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Reply to
zikkimalambo

You could try silicone eater form screwfix £3.99 for 150ml

Paul

Reply to
Paul

You could try a silicone sealant remover. The following are available from Screwfix:

?id=50102&ts=68653The latter of the two products looks like it might do the trick, though a lot depends on how rough the brick texture is.

Good luck Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield