Laminate flooring

Whereas most laminate flooring is contructed from fine-particle MDF, Homebase are selling their low-cost range which has a far coarser interior, almost like chipboard. Is this stuff any good?

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Well, to be fair, if its anything like the 'low-cost' range from B&Q - don't touch it. My wife and I fell into the trap of seeing laminate flooring 'cheap' @ B&Q...BIG mistake.. I put about 3 rows down and lost the will to live after that. It all went back to them. The grooves where it so called 'clipped' together were impossible, and I'm sure if I had even continued...the whole floor would have been coming up within a month.

Off to Floors-To-Go I went. Bought some stuff called BINGO..yeah crap name, but it was EASY to put down.

Hope this helps.

Sean.

Reply to
Sean Spencer

IME the quality of laminate is directly proportional to the price. If you're laying it in a house where you intend to live for a while, then don't buy anything under £10/sqm, and preferably look in the £15-£20 range.

Any useable laminate will be made of a high density fibreboard, and be at least 8mm thick.

If budget for that room won't stretch that far, you will be much better off with cheap carpet or lino. £5/sqm will buy you perfectly useable carpet, but awful laminate.

Reply to
Grunff

Funny you should say this as I was only on the web looking a few minutes ago, and found Floors-2-Go! There's a branch quite local to me, so I'm off there tomorrow to see what they have. The web page covers Bingo and some other makes. The Super clic caught my eye, because it is even cheaper.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Sorry, don't agree. I bought some dirt cheap 6 mm laminate for the dining area of the kitchen and laid it about six months ago. Since then I have been traipsing over it to and from the back door to the garden. I have dropped tools on it (though I tried not to). It has not exactly had an easy six months. Yet the other day, having nearly finished the refurbishment, I cleaned the house from top to bottom, and that laminate flooring came up as if it had been laid yesterday. I even surprised myself! It was around £4.30 per square metre from Homebase. If only I could buy the same type again now for the bedrooms. But Homebase don't have the beech that I'm looking for, except in that "chipboard" quality, which does look pretty cheap and nasty.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Reply to
Reckless

I recently bought a load of quickstep 800 flooring - it retails normally for £18ish a sq meter - however I found it for £11.50 online. As I prefer to buy 'locally' a quick trip to my local Topps Tiles sorted out a price match minus another 5% !! So, got it far cheaper than 'standard' but with local pick-up.

Reply to
NWC