Laminate Floor - Kitchen

Thinking of laying a laminate floor in our kitchen. Some types claim to be suitable for kitchens but no salesperson will claim them to be waterproof.

Whilst we are careful and would hope to never have a major spill that wouldn't be immediately cleaded up, I was wondering if there is any waxy type of substance that could be rubbed into the joints to improve their water resistance.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

5 years ago my new home was 100% renovated. All laminated floors. 3 years (!) ago a flexie hose under the kitchen sink blew, the kitchen floor was flooded. The floor suffered no damage.
Reply to
Mr Pounder

Our kitchen is done in that fake tile stuff from B&Q. Plan was it'll do for a while, and then we'll sort it properly when we had more cash.

10 years on it's still fine, and the offcut is still outside on the patio showing no real sign of damage even though it's been out in the weather for all that time.

I'd say it's fine if you get the stuff that's listed as OK for kitchens and bathrooms :-)

Yes, don't bother trying to seal it. Get the decent stuff and it'll be fine.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

On Saturday 20 July 2013 16:45 DerbyBorn wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Don't bother - buy a *good* quality vinyl :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@squidward.local.dionic.net:

SWMBO didn't want Cardean or Amtico. Due to the cost difference I wasn't going to argue much!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

He don't seem to want lino. Neither would I.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

lino is not vinyl vinyl is not lino

polygonum

There is an Italian guy that I used to know. He was called Leno. Slip up and call him Lino he got very upset. He went bankrupt.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

We've got the same stuff.

Only about 7 years so far for us.

We've had a three or four biggish spills (faulty seal on washing machine and also on dishwasher).

My wife also mops the floor (with a fair bit of water) on a fairly regular basis.

It's also been subject to a few smashed bottles - milk, whisky and red wine.

No problems at all so far.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Oilcloth(?)

Reply to
Graham.

If buying from B&Q don't get the own-brand stuff - the manufacturing tolerances are not very good. The Quick-Step is good, I have it in the kitchen and hall, and is guaranteed 25 years but note that the styles stocked in B&Q are only available from B&Q.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Dunno, never found a laminated floor that does not either creek or sound like you are practicing tap dancing on it. What about Lino.. grin. In the kitchen, the mighty Kitchen, the lino sleeps tonight.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

SteveW wrote in news:ksf35a$tdk$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Thanks for the encouraging comments. I was also going to consider the foam and foil type of underlay rather than the wood fibre type. Do you argree this makes sense?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Hey guys,

I have read your discussion and just a couple of notes:

I am generally against laminate for a variety of reasons... First of if yo u have a pet and laminate is not that scratch resistant, you will have prob lems...

Secondly you were saying that you will be careful not to make any large spi lls but that's not up to you! :) things happen.. and I think that some oth er floor combo can give you much higher protection from water. When I was b uying the floor for our home I contacted Galacroft Floors

who managed to answer all of my questions. If you go to their site you will find a phone number that you ca n call and get a quote or an estimation of costs. They will also recommend options from their point of view as experts. I think you want to hear that more than people experiences since if they recommend a specific option, the y need to stay on top of that and make sure your floor works for you! other wise they lose.

So definitely call them and get some expert opinion!

Let us know how it went!

Reply to
adnanxteam

I am not a pet owner - but I do often wonder if dogs are harmed by skidding around all the time on laminate - it isn't natural!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

We have a young Westie and laminated floor. No skidding and no scratches on the floor. The floor does show all the muck but is easy to mop. There is no way that we would go back to carpets. The "bad" about laminated floors is that they do not absorb dust as carpets do. I have to clean the fans in my computer every 6 months.

Reply to
Mr Pounder