laminate floor -extending from "wrong" side..

Taken out a built in wardrobe in a room with laminate flooring. Floor is click together flavour laminate. On inspection the laminate is laid "away" from the old robe, i.e. First row was laid up against old robe.

I have some laminate to fill the gap.

Any gotchas is trying to add the laminate from the "wrong" side? I.e. Working backwards, the opposite way to the instructions. I'd rather not lift the lot & relay it :-S

Thanks Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

On Tuesday 12 March 2013 09:05 Jim K wrote in uk.d-i-y:

It can be done - at least with engineered wood click-fit. I'd give laminate a reasonable chance of success.

You'll need a flooring tool that is shaped like a double reversed "L" with a small hook at one end and a big hook at the other, like this:

Hoover and brush both joints clean, lide the new upto the existing and use the bar and a mallet to tap the new piece in - working both ends and the centre in rotation - ie don't bang one end in all the way at once.

Reply to
Tim Watts

click together flavour laminate.

ow was laid up against old robe.

king backwards, the opposite way to the instructions. I'd rather not lift t he lot & relay it :-S

Easisest to remove the click bit and glue in, otherwise you will not be able to offer it up at the correct angle.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

click together flavour laminate.

was laid up against old robe.

backwards, the opposite way to the instructions. I'd rather not lift the lot & relay it :-S

Depends on the exact profile. Some work fine.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

so is the aim there to "bounce"/shock the click bit into place? ISTR when click laminates are done the "right" way around the planks are presented at an angle ~~30 deg? to the previous row and then lowered/persuaded flat to click...

BTW there's about 2.5ft X 12 ft to cover/replace to make it good.

cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

is click together flavour laminate.

t row was laid up against old robe.

Working backwards, the opposite way to the instructions. I'd rather not lif t the lot & relay it :-S

this is Pergo gear - exact flavour I forget now but I doubt it's "that" lud icrously expensive...although compared to some others or (gasp) real wood.. .....

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

click together flavour laminate.

was laid up against old robe.

Working backwards, the opposite way to the instructions. I'd rather not lift the lot & relay it :-S

ludicrously expensive...although compared to some others or (gasp) real wood.......

I laid a whole Pergo floor the wrong way around. It worked but needed a bit of a wallop with a soft hammer to get each plank fully home.

Their instructions are picture only and showed (IIRC) a tounge towards the skirting with a cross through it. I took this to mean don't put the tounge towards the wall. It was only after half a dozen rows and still finding it hard going that I realised that what it meant was DO put the tounge against the wall but DON'T put it right up against the skirting. Doh. A few words would have been worth all the pictures.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

On Tuesday 12 March 2013 11:09 Jim K wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Pergo will click in "wrong way" - the hooked bar I have was bought to fit Pergo and whilst I did most of it the "right way" I had a few tricky bits that had to be done "wrong way". It does work.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I did something similar (not quite such a large area as a wardrobe).

Mine wouldn't click in as it needed to be lifted too much so I cut the tongue off, and glued it. In an attempt to give it a bit more strength I slipped some thin "stuff" (can't remember what, thin card or something) under the old bit smeared in glue then glued the new bit along the joint but also to the card.

Seems to have worked ok - suspect it wouldn't put up with being walked on all the time but that's fine for me...

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

cheers for that, I'll have to have a play methinks.

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K