Laminate: feed under skirting without removing ?

All, I am planning on taking the skirting of, fitting the laminate and then replacing the skirting. However, is it possible to 'trim' a few mm off the bottom of the skirting whilst it is in situ ?? If so, what tool(s) are best for this ? Also, if I manage to create the gap, how do I go about ensuring that the expansion gap is done correctly - no room for spacers !
All help welcome - I'm planning on starting the removal process on saturday so quick replies very much appreciated !

Fein Multimaster with an oscillating saw blade. Or you might be able to get away with a biscuit jointer run along the floor.
Thomas Prufer

Forget it, and do a proper job!
Your solution is not too bad on the starting side, but won't work on the finishing side - because you won't be able to get at the edge of the laminate to pull the joint together. Some laminate has to be lifted on the far side while you snap it together. You can't do that with the skirting in place.
Roger
Srewfix do a tool for lifting skirting - better than a chisel!!
-- Regards
Hays
T610 Housings in stock now!! www.phonepro.go.to
On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 21:25:50 +0100, "hays"

I thought a mirror on a stick might have been better. Or are we talking about a different type of skirting? ;)
PoP
hays wrote:

Can you point me in the right direction - I cant find it on the site....

I agree absolutely.
I argued with Spouse that it wasn't worth lifting the skirting but he insisted and I'm glad he did. The result, for the sake of a few hours more on the whole job is far more satisfactory than any other option I've seen.
In our case, with a 1930s house, he also found ancient and iffy wiring which had to be removed or re-routed. That might not apply to your situation but you never know what you might find behind that skirting.
My advice is to remove all the furniture you can from the room before you start and have a vacuum cleaner and brush and shovel and damp cloth available to clean up as you go along. It's amazing what collects behind those boards.
Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:

Its a pretty new flat - about 3 years old. I think the skirting is screwed in place and the holes filed with plugs taken from the same wood - I'll be more sure tomorrow - but it shouldn't be too messy or hard to do. Also, the flat is empty for another month so I dont have the problem of furniture.
Looks like removing it is the only sensible way forward...

If you're going into doorways, you'll need to undercut the door frames and architraves, and slide the laminate underneath. This is quite easy to do, using a sharp flexible hand-saw. Sliding the laminate under a relatively short length of frame is also entirely feasible (as opposed to a long length of skirting) - but you have to carefully plan the order of doing things - in some cases fixing 2 or more pieces of laminate together before laying them.
Roger

Also the easiest.
Mary

This has been posted before, have a look at
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=laminate+Japanese++pull+saw+group:uk.d-i-y+group:uk.d-i-y+group:uk.d-i-y&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=uk.d-i-y&safe=off&selm=q2Mh9.644%24hc5.19572959%40news-text.cableinet.net&rnum=1
But I agree with Roger, I can't see how you would end up with a good finish... as it needs a knock on the end...