Laminate expansion gap cover strip - cheapest place?

Hi
I've recently laid laminate flooring on the lower (open-plan) floor of my house, which I'm very pleased with. I need to cover the expansion gap around the walls, but I'm not too keen on paying over 3.50 per 2m strip which B&Q charge (especially as I need about 30m of it).
Is there anywhere cheaper I could get some? The floor is beech coloured. I know wooden quadrant would be cheaper, but I lso need to factor in the hassle of varnishing and trying to match the colour to the floor.
Cheers,
Mark

Yes, you cover it with the skirting board which you removed before laying the flooring!
So you didn't remove the skirting? If this is the case, there isn't a solution which looks half-way decent. The best bodge is probably to fill the gap with cork strip which will compress as the flooring expands.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Depending on the gap you've left, you can fill the gap with a matching silicone sealant. Or do what a friend has just, and use a wood effect tile edging strip which came on a long roll of 10 mtrs (?) I think. It cost him around 10 per roll, but it looks really great.
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:56:16 -0000, Mark wrote:

Would matching the colour to the skirting be easier? Thats what I did, and looks fine to me.

Yes a friend of mine painted his white, the same as the skirting. It looks good.
John Armstrong wrote:

Actually its not as hard as it sounds. I finally got artound to installing oak skirting over my oak laminate, and beliebve it or not I have oak beams - somewhat rough - stained with teh same stain as teh dors and skirtings and door frames, plus a bressemer beam in a mixture of stain and linseed oil and roof beams in stain and linseed, and Kahrs flooring in wheyever 'oiled finsih' they use.
The BEST mastch is between the kahrs unkown oil and the stained skirting.
The kahrs itself is ageing a sort of golden color, except where the puppy pissed on it, which has produced a lovely dark coloration in te grain. The linseed on sanded oak is going russet, whlst the rough sawn oak is much darker.
What am I trying to say here?
(i) Wood is wood, and trying to get perfect matches should be reserved for plastic laminate manufacturers
(ii) It all ages and changes colour anyway, so just use what looks decent, stain it up approximately correctly, and sit back and watch the 'patina' so beloved of the Antique Roadshow to develop...

(iii) Piss on the floor to add patina?
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Or if it needs a more brown colour.....
PoP
Andy Hall wrote:

Right. Forgot that bit. Also wrap a bike chain in a towel and knock it all about a bit to add that weatherbeaten look.

My neighbour had the exact same dilemma. He used a section froom B&Q that cost 0.90 a metre. It looks much better than the quadrant stuff. He stained it to the same colur as the flooring. The profile was concaved quadrant - not sure of the correct name. Neil