Lagging on gas pipes?

Why do I see some (but a small number) of gas pipes (from people's meters along the wall for a few metres into their house) lagged? Gas liquifies at -162 C, and Scotland isn't THAT cold. Mind you it's very thin lagging, so may serve some other purpose? Is it to make it look pretty?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

f*ck off with your trolling hucker prick

Reply to
Mick

Tough Guy no. 1265

Depends on the gas :)

Butane liquefies at the temperature of ice cream.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Could it be denso tape, to prevent corrosion, or does it really look like thermal lagging?

Could it be to disguise some easily nickable copper?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On Sun, 08 Feb 2015 17:49:57 -0000, Tim Watts wro= te:

[checks, -1C] I never knew that. I guess it's halfway between natural = gas and petrol. Hang on a minute, people use butane gas stoves when cam= ping in winter don't they?

-- =

While most Americans believe that getting rid of religion is an impossib= le goal, much of the developed world has already accomplished it. Any ac= count of a =E2=80=9Dgod gene=E2=80=9C that causes the majority of Americ= ans to helplessly organize their lives around ancient works of religious= fiction must explain why so many inhabitants of other First World socie= ties apparently lack such a gene. The level of atheism throughout the re= st of the developed world refutes any argument that religion is somehow = a moral necessity. Countries like Norway, Iceland, Australia, Canada, Sw= eden, Switzerland, Belgium, Japan, the Netherlands, Denmark and the Unit= ed Kingdom are among the least religious societies on Earth. According t= o the United Nations=E2=80=99 Human Development Report (2005) they are a= lso the healthiest, as indicated by measures of life expectancy, adult l= iteracy, per capita income, educational attainment, gender equality, hom= icide rate and infant mortality. Conversely, the 50 nations now ranked l= owest in =

terms of human development are unwaveringly religious.

--Sam Harris (An Atheist Manifesto)

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

ters along the wall for a few metres into their house) lagged? Gas liqu= ifies at -162 C, and Scotland isn't THAT cold. Mind you it's very thin = lagging, so may serve some other purpose? Is it to make it look pretty?=

Yes, it looks like that. So copper doesn't last outside then? It's onl= y on about 5% of houses, so I'm guessing most think it's not needed, or = not before the warranty of the installation expires anyway :-)

It's not a very good disguise. A pipe from a gas meter tends to be wort= h something.

Anyway, at =A32.40 a kg, is it really worth taking such small bits?

-- =

A bloke walks into a Glasgow library and says to the prim librarian, "Excuse me Miss, dey ye hae ony books on suicide?" To which she stops doing her tasks, looks at him over the top of her gla= sses and says, "Buggeroff, ye'll no bring it back!"

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Only the ones that haven't tried it before. The wise ones use a spirit stove or propane.

Reply to
dennis

Only if they want cold tea.

Propane or propane mix would be the order of the day :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Was in a caravan when I was a kid in autumn. Couple of cold nights and we had to wait before we could fire up the stove with butane.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Gypos round here are VERY stupid.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

With difficulty

Reply to
bert

Mostof these gas cartridges have a butane propane mix.

Reply to
harryagain

I thought burners were calibrated for a particular gas and wouldn't work right with the wrong one.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

I disagree.

Reply to