lagging and supporting hot water pipe

Hello again,

Currently my hot water pipes are not lagged and do not appear to be supported. They seem to run under the bathroom floor across the house to the kitchen. It takes forever for hot water to reach the kitchen, so I thought I might lag the pipe, so once there is hot water in it, it stays warmer for longer.

Should I be concerned that the horizontal runs are not supported?

How could I clip the pipes to the joists if I used pipe wrap? Clips with spacers?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

I would do both.You can cut the pipe wrap round the clips.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Is it worth it though? 4m of 15mm pipe holds about a pint of water? So a splodge of luke warm water, followed by cold, followed by hot. If the pipe is long (>5m) and in an unheated place (say, under the ground floor), I can start to see it.

Otherwise, I can't see it making much difference, and would put the main problem at the water heater. It takes a good 40s for hot water to reach the tap with my combi, and that's only a metre of pipe.

Reply to
RJH

It takes an age for ours, and we have a cylinder.

OTOH the kitchen is at the opposite end of the house.

15mm pipe - for ease I'll assume it's 1cm^2 cross section. so each 10 metres holds a litre. Odd, it takes a lot more than a litre to get it warm... Oh. It has to heat up all the copper first before it comes out hot!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Total waste of time. Regardless of how thick the lagging is, the water will still be cold in the interval between uses.

Pipe insulation is only useful where water is moving through a pipe.

Reply to
harry

The installation was designed by an idiot. I have 600mm of pipe or less between the taps and heat sources in my house.

Reply to
harry