Ladder standoff, wheels or no wheels?

I have some painting to do, render, barge boards and windows. I already have an alu ladder.

I could do with a standoff, and one with a V notch because for some of the work I will only be able to place the ladder against a corner.

This caught my eye

(LADDSTAND)

But I'm not so sure about having one with wheels on it - sure it'll make it easier to put the ladder up, but will it be as stable and safe - anyone got a ladder standoff with or without wheel care to comment?

Thanks.

Jc.

NB. I'm not connected to the website in any way.

Reply to
Josey

"Wheels assist in running up the wall and stop sideways slip"

add "but greatly assist ladder slippage down the wall, and a certain hospital visit"

Reply to
EricP

If it's the only one you've seen with the V notch and you need that feature then why not remove the wheels?

Reply to
Tam

Yeah, that's the issue really. Havn't found any with the V notch that don't have wheels.

I guess I could remove them and glue some rubber or something to the bits that sit on the wall.

Jc.

Reply to
Josey

Or add a bolt so that the wheels are locked when you want. The only time I have wanted wheels at the top has been sideways wheels so that I can slide the ladder to right or left, never up the wall, though I can see vertical wheels could be useful with an extending ladder (especially one man operated), you could lean it against the wall, then push (or pull the rope) while the ladder rolls up the wall .

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Untrue, but add it anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My two wheels worth:

I have a two section aluminium ladder that is not rope operated but is too long to extend without bouncing it up the wall - to give you an idea of its length it will comfortably reach the ridge of a bay window in a Victorian end of terrace. This particular house was pebble dashed which made the bounce and push technique inadvisable so I fitted a pair of wheels, er 'borrowed', from a supermarket trolley. Absolutely brilliant and wouldn't be without them. The ladder has never shown any greater tendency to slip sideways with the wheels than without, in fact the rubber treads may even grip the walls better.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Check out the 'Ladder Mate', available on that site end elsewhere. I never use my ladder without it; it's a real confidence booster with or without a standoff. I bought mine direct from the manufacturer

years ago, although their site seems to suggest that now you can buy only via their distributors.

-- Stephen Chalmers

Reply to
Stephen Chalmers

I would not have thought you get much gripping power from the top of the ladder anyway. Most of the weight is over the bottom feet, so they are doing the bulk of the work in preventing slippage.

Reply to
John Rumm

I fitted wheels to my ladder and found them a useful addition, but IMO the last thing you want is sideways wheels as there would be a very great danger of the ladder crashing to the ground sideways when even the slightest sideways force is applied to the job.

Roger

Reply to
Roger

If the bottom of the ladder is secure then it can't slip down the wall, wheels or not.

Wheels make it a lot easier than trying to manoeuvre a ladder with the extra weight of the standoff at one end.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ