Ladder stand-off?

Need to rake out some birdnest rubbish from under a tile three rows up from the gutter. I would prefer to have some ladder extending above the gutter for this job. Looked at standoffs - screwfix 10275-81

this one (with wheels):-
they seem to only stand off about 350mm (14") so that with the slope of the ladder, it might not get past the soffit (about 9") + gutter(??) - or would they work in practice?

Geo

Reply to
Geo

So make your own..3/4" steel piping and a borrowed pipe bender,weld a flat piece of metal to the tube,drill 2 holes in flat piece of metal for nut&bolts to go through ladder and flat metal.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I don't like the look of that thing with wheels on. I've got the Screwfix "Superior standoff" which is excellent - well worth the extra fiver. It's very stable, and comfortable to use; has a large tray you can put stuff on while you're working.

Can't comment on the dimensions you've quoted, but my ladder certainly comfortably clears my soffits when I've got the standoff on.

David

Reply to
Lobster

This is uk.d-i-y, not uk.sex-up-ladders!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The message from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

Talking of which, anyone near Telford willing to let me use their pipe-bender for half an hour in exchange for a pint or two? I need four bends in a bit of 2" pipe.

Reply to
Guy King

the Screwfix Superior standoff

570mm (less angle of ladder, do the maths if necessary) from the wall. Very stable, securely fixed and not too heavy an object dangling at the end of the ladder.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

Four bends in a 2" bit of pipe, impossible!! :-P

2" circu.
Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The message from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

It might be very narrow pipe!

Anyway, I want it to make the perimeter for my new garden gate, which, when I get the sufficient tuits will look like this

the detail done with 2" x 3/8" steel strip bent to shape and welded in. Not sure what to do about the eye at the moment, and it'd be fun if I could get an ear to operate the latch.

Reply to
Guy King

For diy you can make your own from wood or metal in 10 minutes, any size you want, adjustable if you want, with whatever features you want. That is if you understand how to make it safely, no using london brackets.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Had a look at my "Superior Standoff" (oo-er, missus) today. When in use, the front edge of the ladder will be held 545mm away from the wall, measured at the top of the device. Also, it holds the ladder at 20 deg from the vertical (that's fixed, assuming the tray is horizontal), so Pythagoras should be able to enlighten you whether it will clear your soffits.

Pics of it on the mfr's website at:

Lobster

site shows more detail than the screwfix picture. I have considered the suggestions about DIY construction but my attempts are usually "over-engineered" 2 inch handy-angle contraptions and I dont fancy the weight at the end of a 20 foot ladder.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

Haven't been following this but I've used this one for years

prefer the fact that you're not locating off just 2 points which, on an uneven surface, I don't fancy.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

except on an uneven surface there will only ever be two points of contact and with that design the wall chooses where but with the Screwfix Superior standoff the uneven points of contact are guaranteed to be 750mm apart.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

I'd agree. Surely with "Laddersrus" you have the potential for getting a high point along the length of the support, so it could rock side to side. The Superior has two large pads which sit flat against the wall, making it extremely stable.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Of course. Makes sense.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Stuart Noble saying something like:

They don't supply seperately and 25ukp for a bit of bent metal? I should coco.

This is another ripoff...

and I wouldn't feel awfully happy about those rollers on it while I was up it.

This geezer looks like he's just about to find out about see-saws the hard way...

Grimly Curmudgeon

They're in most of the sheds for less I think

Reply to
Stuart Noble

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Stuart Noble saying something like:

For all that's in it anyway, I think I'll knock one up myself, as well as a bottom steady.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon