Ladder for loft use

I'm after a ladder to get into the loft (not a loft-ladder). Looks like a Lyte DIY Double Extension Ladder 2.2m - 3.7m should do the trick - anyone any experience with this brand? Although Screwfix does it for £69.99, I can apparently get it here:

sion-ladders.html

for £59 incl delivery - anyone used this outfit before?

Reply to
Tim Streater

If it's tall enough, I'd recommend one of these. Very useful in a variety of places. Easy to store.

Capitol

You may well already have other ladders, but I find that something more like:

admittedly more expensive, is very handy. You use it in "A" configuration to slide the hatch away, and then open out the ladder to poke it through the opening, reversing the process when all is done.

"A" mode is also handy for items a bit bulky for sharing the opening with a ladder.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Hmm, interesting, thanks. But I think I weight more than the load capacity hem hem.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Interesting, I just checked my very old one and it actually goes to

11ft. Looks like another cost reduction exercise where someone has shrunk the product down to 9ft.
Reply to
Capitol

Seconded. We've had one for years, useful for getting into the loft and for many other things.

Reply to
S Viemeister

In message , Chris J Dixon writes

Reply to
Bill

I've an earlier version of

it's 150kg - is that enough? Yesterday I was taking about 4' off a triple-trunked, ivy-covered hawthorn using the ladder at about 45 deg. (limited access and keeping clear of the stream) and it was solid, but I weigh only about 95kg kitted up for the job.

Reply to
PeterC

+1 but my combination step-ladder/ladder is longer at around 11ft extended and has a better weight loading.
Reply to
alan_m

If you've decided to buy a ladder, I'd recommend one of those 4 way folding jobs. Very handy.

If you're looking to be thoroughly cheap, £10 buys enough wood for a wood en one.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Not tried that supplier, but have used Lyte ladders. Their trade rated ones are very good. I have not tried the DIY rated ones since I find those rather too flimsy in general.

Reply to
John Rumm

I used to sell Lyte ladders to decorators without any complaints.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Happened to me as well.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

It says in my Microsoft Security Essentials logs that it was Exploit:HTML/Axpergle.N Alert Level Severe

webscript:

with the path to the titan-ta3w page of the website.

I'll try to send this post to brownsladders as well as posting here.

Reply to
Bill

In article , Peter Johnson writes

The slightly longer trade class one is just a tenner more, would you recommend the upgrade?

Reply to
fred

In message , Bill writes

Yet more on this: The Microsoft info about the possible dodginess suggested a full scan using Security Essentials.

I disconnected from the router and started the scan. 20 hours later it said it was 3/4 through the scan, so we set off to check the boat in Wales. About 5 hours later the scan was finished and flagged up a .pol file in the Windows/system32/GroupPolicy/User directory as having an entry that allowed alteration of browser settings. It's Win7.

"Fixing" quarantined the first exploit and deleted the second. I run a slightly odd system in that I normally use Pale Moon as the main browser, but IE is set as the default. This has the advantage that clicking on a url in an email or post brings up IE and doesn't mess with anything I've been looking at / working on in the main browser.

I am alarmed by the time MSE took to do the scan. Most of my other machines run AVG or Avast.

Reply to
Bill

Reminds me of when I ran AVG on a 486. It took 15 or 17 minutes before it even began scanning

NT

Reply to
meow2222

IME it depends on how heavy you are... if you are close to or exceed the

95kg limit on the DIY ones, then its definitely worth going for the trade one! ;-)
Reply to
John Rumm

Additional note. That decision should be based on.

Weight of person, plus the weight of stuff you're lugging up the ladder into the attic.

So even someone who is 12 or 13 stone might want to think about it.

(13 stone = 83kg)

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I was recently using a trade set on a long reach and although I'm fairly light there was significantly less bounce than on my own lower spec set so it felt much safer.

Just thought I'd ask Peter for his view too as he mentions he had sold them in the past and so might have tried out more different types than thee & me.

A top tip from someone here in the past was to make sure that you buy a set with D shaped rungs so that the edge of a square rung is not digging into the sole of your shoes/boots. Sadly posted after I had bought my square runged set and it is a painful reminder every time I work on them for an extended period.

Reply to
fred