Lack of accuracy of cuts performed by B&Q on their panel saws

Doing a shelving job in an alcove for a relative well off my usual turf. I called into a local B&Q (an act of desperation I know) and had some plywood cut into strips so I could easily transport it to site where I could cut it into rectangular/ trapezoidal pieces on a sliding compound mitre saw.

I wanted one strip 300 wide and four strips 200 wide running the full length of the sheet.

Seeing them actually cut the stuff they only made two set ups. I left my tape in the car so couldn't check the accuracy of the cuts in the store.

The 300 cut was a couple of mm over, probably a basic misunderstanding of kerf, but the 200 strips were even more out - I had two strips at

205mm and two at **225mm**

How the hell can they cut 25mm oversize while keeping the same bloody setup? That's the best part of an afternoon wasted.

Useless f*ckers. I could cut more accurately with a blunt axe.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Practice!

Never tried there board cutting it has to be said. However with the snazzy panel saws they usually have, its surprising they can get it that wrong.

(small cordless circular saw and a couple of folding trestles would probably do a better job, not only that you can leave the sawdust in their car park ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd guess they didn't clamp the stop/fence firmly. Slide up the board first time, knock the stop over a little. Second time, knock it even further.

Reply to
dom

I've used the board cutting before though not for ages since we moved house, and I've always found them pretty accurate.

They must have mess up the clamping or something so something could move?

:-)

Reply to
chris French

The Other Mike :

Tape measure? Aisle eight. :-)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

But you didn't notice that two of the four that should have been the same width were significantly different?

or 20mm different to previous cuts. That sort of size has the feel of being on top of a stop/clamp rather than behind it or somthing like that

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Until the stop breaks and can no longer be locked at all.

Reply to
stuart noble

I think it depends who is on the machine that day. Our local Homebase offers a cutting service, and if the old deaf guy is doing it, it's spot on. Even accounts for the 5mm the machine eats.

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

That's good service.

I don't usually assume that will happen in my place, but I do tell them I want certain cuts to be repeated exactly sometimes and they do manage that.

I either just get it cut a little oversized, for transport then trim it down a bit myself, or I'm doing a project where +/- 5mm doesn't matter as long as they are all the same.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The sheds here scatter them on racks all over the place - I often grab one on the way in to use and return it on the way out.

Having said that, the shed that I normally go to for lumber *always* measure after cutting to make sure you're getting what you asked for.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Yeh, I just use it to reduce in size for fitting in the car. I always ask for it oversize and trim at home, since I'd not trust them to get it right. Shame really - those vertical panel saws they have are amazing. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

In article , sm_jamieson writes

They're the reason I buy my sheet materials there, saves me ages on getting nice clean cuts. I am always clear that I want dims x, y & z _finished_ size and rarely have problems once I make it clear that is what I want. I've only had to say, "hold on, I'll get another sheet and you can try it again" once ;-).

I always check them as they come off the saw.

Reply to
fred

Our local B&Q don't offer a cutting service - any clues to those that do? (eg "warehouse and above", or " the ones North of Watford" or whatever). The 'local' proper DIY shop with a panel saw shut a year or two ago, unfortunately.

Thanks J^n

Reply to
jkn

In article , jkn writes

'warehouse'

Reply to
fred

And if you get a trade card, you get free cutting and the sheets are at a more reasonable price too.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

It's virtually free cuts for everyone now, used to be 5 free cuts per sheet but it's jumped to 'per visit'.

What's the ballpark discount for sheets on a trade card?

[1] I want to say 10 but I'm sure it was more, no, 25 is too high, let's say 15.
Reply to
fred

Yup, 15 cuts at ours. That said, I have on occasion had more than that done for free - helped partially I am sure by going in armed with a neat clear diagram of what I need rather giving ambiguous verbal orders like I've seen many do. An excellent service in my view, and a significant reason for me to keep going back.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I'm bemused. I've never had sheet materials cut to size. Buy the panels, take them home, cut to size using circular saw or hand saw.

That way I can buy them for a fraction of B&Q rip-off prices.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I do not have facilities to transport full size sheets. I do however have a very professional wood yard not too far away.

Reply to
Invisible Man

If you can transport an 8 x 4 sheet...

At least one of our builders merchants has a panel saw so you can buy there and still get it cut.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice