Labour cost of fitting patio

Got a quote off a friend of a friend to lay a patio for me. Basically, I provide all the materials (slabs, sand, concrete, hire of mixer etc) and he does it for me.

Garden is basically flat (and currently turfed), and size of area to be patiod is 8m x 3m (roughly).

Hes quoted me as two days work for a total of £450.

Is this about right ?

(Last fella I had a quote from quoted me £1200 for everything).

Reply to
Paul W

So that's a day's preparation and a day laying I suppose. Sounds about right.

£18.75/sq m is about mid price I'd have thought, but market rates vary across the country I think.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

On the high side, but you get what you pay for. If he can do it properly, its worth it.

I was having a beer last night with the bloke who did my decorating.

he is inclined to quote anything from 60 quid a room, to 600, depending on what you want done.

60 quid for a splash of paint, mostly where its intended, and 600 for an every-bump-removed, every-crack-filled, down-to-bare-wood reprime-undercoat-top-coat with a rub down in between each and three coats of top quality emulsion on the walls and not a spot left anywhere..

I've dine most of these jobs, and to do a job PROPERLY takes about 3-10 times as long as most people are prepared to pay a top craftsman.

Laying my slate floor, better than any trade job I have seen outside of a showroom, would have cost me to pay myself about 50 quid a square meter.

I am about to order up and lay 76 sq. meters of sandstone paving. It will take me ALL summer to get that done right. about 2 grand of sandstone, about a grand of cement and sand, and about 10 grand of my labour....:-)

But what WAS the everything he was quoting for? scrape a bit of earth away, and put 5 dobs of mortar down and sand full the cracks? Leaving you with an area of dubious qualify with voids underneath, no sub base, and which will be wonky and have grass growing inside of a year?

I think it unlikely you can do a decent prep, sub base, base and paved top for less than £100 a square meter, of which at best 1/4 is the paving slab cost.

By my estimate you should be paying 2400 quid for what you want. Anything less means the job is being skimped.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher