label remover

Hi,

Has anyone used a label remover like this one:

think it is on promotion, so if you want it, check the offer booklets for a discounted order code)

I wondered if it would remove the adhesive from double-sided tape? I removed some tape recently and battled with meths and acetone to remove the sticky residue! Would something like this be any better do you think?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

What is the adhesive stuck to?

I'll await the chemists replies but I was under the impresion that cigarette lighter fluid has similar ingredients to the label removing products (naphtha?).

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Reply to
polygonum

Lidl had some recently - which works well on the adhesive I tried it on. They may still have some. Their graffiti remover is also worth having. Although like all these things I doubt if there's a 'one fits all' solution.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sometimes, I find that fresh sticky tape repeatedly applied to the sticky area gradually removes the mess.

David

Reply to
David

Had something like that for years - it is very useful. Recently ran out =

- =

and got a small one from Lidl (last week, I think) for =A31.99. Not yet = used =

so cannot comment on effectiveness.

Reply to
polygonum

WD40.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

This stuff works well on a variety of sticky (and icky) adhesive residues:

also removes the black scuff marks from computer front panels resulting from users kicking the tower box under their desk. Allegedly accidental, but ... :-)

Reply to
Nemo

I find Swarfega left for an hour or so reasonably effective on these tacky label adhesives. A spot of white spirit or meths to polish off the last traces (or metal polish at a pinch).

Reply to
Martin Brown

Effective against most but not all adhesives. The secret is to apply it then leave it alone for 5 minutes, then wipe off, then apply and leave again if necessary.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

In message , geoff writes

So is my wife, that's why I don't get her to remove sticky labels.

Reply to
Bill

That's how I treat my women.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Not sure if its actually citrus based but it smells citrus rather than solvent. Reasonably effective in limited trials here.

Have a collection of Pro-Power aerosols now, if need something small in a hurry from CPC always add an aerosol of some form , then they courier rather than post it ;-)

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Meths and Isopropanol etc tend to leave a smeary mess if rubbed with a swab before the sticky element has been sufficiently weakened. This can take 5-10 mins. One of our manuals at work used to suggest taping alcohol swabs down over gobs of unwanted adhesive and leaving for 10 minutes. It was indeed slow going cleaning a transparent belt 500 feet long contaminated with over 2500 marks !

As a rule "Label Removers" contain delta -limonene, which is a by product of the orange (+lemon +gropefruit) juice industry. Simply put it is a terpentine squeezed out of citrus (various) tree wastes inc. wood, leaves, peels , the lot. It is almost completely inoccuous having been used in the past in cosmetics and to flavour cheap sweets and puddings, it's use has not been shown to cause allergies/ asthma It will however de-grease the skin.

It works very well at unsticking adhesive labels. If it leaves a trace behind of where it's been used it is readily miscible with lighter volatile solvents, which used in generous quantities, on a swab will mix with and absorb the bulk of it,.Whats left will evaporate to dryness in a couple of minutes.

DerekG

Reply to
DerekG

That sounds like an up-market version of the substance I use to remove labels, stickers, corn-plasters, resin and decomposed rubber bands from violins. I just use a bit of white spirit on a rag. The white spirit won't react unfavourably with any of the known violin varnishes but is pretty effective at removing the unwanted stuff. I have some

Reply to
Nick Odell

Reply to
DerekG

I may be some freak of nature, but I find skin grease gets rid of virtually any sticky label residue on a non-porous surface. I'm not particularly greasy but there's enough on my nose & forehead to be able to smear it over the mark. Then a screen wipe or glasses cleaner to wipe of the grease marks.

My freakishness may also explain why I can never get glue to stick.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

I've always found the "proper" label removers very effective, even on things which IPA, acetone, WD40 etc struggle with.

Reply to
newshound

I find nose-grease is great for getting rid of small oily marks on my car when I'm washing it!

Dave W

Reply to
Dave W

+1. Works well on non-glossy paper labels. Wet the label with the solvent first, leave to soak for ~20 minutes, after which it will peel off easily (usually).

Oil of eucalyptus works well too.

Reply to
Andy Wade