Know of a good internet source for trench and excavation information?

Hi, Trying to do my homework on excavations, and looking for a resource that tells you all the names of the component parts in excavations, e.g. waling, trench sheet, struts, etc. etc.. Does anyone know of a good site? Thanks in advance....

Not sure what you're after here Richard (?) A trench commonly has a floor and walls, and in some cases a roof in bad weather conditions. Wall retention is done by anything strong enough to stop the combined weight of soil from trying to slip and depending how far you're going in, it will need bracing between the walls to combine the strength and prevent the walls from collapsing in.
The materials used as shoring, shuttering or bracing is what ever is strong enough to do the job safely. So not exactly sure what else you want to know (?)
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Hi, thanks for that, I have now found it in a book (which I guess is where the instructor took it from!) What I was after (but didn't explain very well), was e.g. a diagram that showed a trench etc and had all the parts named, such as polling board, waling, trench strut, etc etc.
Thanks anyway!
Cheers...R

Oh Right !! Sorry. I just thought you were after the basics of a trench. You may meet the proverbial naming terms on a site though, were the names of the different parts used are taken from the part makers names, eg. Hoover, Acro, etc. for many of the things used.
And please don't call it a "Polling Board" when your in the trench, because it's actually called a "Poling Board" which is the shield board used when digging a face (wall).
Struts are just Struts. Bracings are just Bracings. Nothing much else to say about them.
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com